Experienced Backend Engineer, Toronto
We make sure our employees get opportunities to grow within Formidable and participate in daily decision-making processes. Our engineers are leaders in the community and frequently speak at key conferences. Working with other Formidables, you are guaranteed to continually cultivate your skill set by staying atop of industry trends and tools.
This role is a Formidable full-time position in Toronto, Canada. It will be a remote work-from-home role to start. The intent is to repeat our Denver and Phoenix successes in Toronto by building a team and setting up a centrally located permanent office. The position is open to residents of Toronto, ON. Sorry, no relocation assistance is available.
If you’re interested in joining a collaborative community that supports employees and understands the importance of maintaining a work-life balance, we would love to talk to you!
- An interest in working in a client service role – advocating for the positive long-term impacts of code health and smooth developer experience, while being sensitive to client goals and timelines
- Understanding of engineering for the web: client/server architecture, REST, and modern best practices
- Understanding of high-availability, monitoring, and reporting, incorporating them into each project from the very beginning.
- The ability to communicate the benefits of technical solutions and architectural concepts to non-technical project stakeholders effectively
- Patience and drive to both learn from and mentor others
- Building production systems that scale
- The modern web application stack:
- React and the surrounding Open Source ecosystem
- REST APIs and frameworks like Express or Hapi
- GraphQL APIs and frameworks like Apollo Server
- Persistence layers like DynamoDB or PostgreSQL
- Setting up monitoring and alerting (NewRelic, CloudWatch)
- Version control for code collaboration on teams
- 3+ years of professional software development experience
- 2+ years of professional experience in NodeJS
- Experience leading teams
- Familiarity with Typescript
- Familiarity with Kubernetes / Lambda / Containerization
- Familiarity with Terraform
- Experience implementing CI/CD pipelines
- Open Source contributor
What We Offer Our Toronto Employees
- 3 weeks of PTO annually and unlimited sick time
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Flexible work schedules
- Annual Health & Wellness bonus
- A supportive and collaborative internal culture
- ...And much more to support your life, both during and outside of work!
Inclusion is one of our core values. We don’t discriminate by race, religion, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in Canada. We are not offering Canadian working visa sponsorship at this time.
Come As You Are The best ideas are born from a workplace that’s inclusive and diverse, from race to gender to ability. When people from varied backgrounds, experiences, and thought processes come together, the greatest outcomes are born. We believe people are at their best when they have what they need, so we made Formidable a place where all can feel welcomed, supported, and heard. Please, come as you are and be yourself.