Management – Wisconsin Management /
Temporary Full Time
Position: Canvass Director
Job Location: Wisconsin
Position Type: Full Time - Exempt
Travel Percentage: %50
Reports to: Deputy State Director
For Our Future Wisconsin seeks a Canvass Director to manage our internal paid canvass program across the state. You’ll work collaboratively with other department directors and key partners to implement campaign plans, and develop and execute a strategic statewide issue advocacy and electoral program around core issue-areas: economic fairness, education, climate, and racial justice. You’ll serve as a coach to develop staff and advance programs across regions. We’re looking for someone with initiative, strong communications, and cross-collaboration skills to cut across silos to facilitate a training program, ensure information sharing between partners and allies, achieve program deliverables, and advance organizational interests, values, and priorities.
This position runs through at least November 11, 2022.
- Lead a results-driven statewide team of paid canvass professionals.
- Oversee implementation of paid canvass program, works with field leadership to evaluate the impact of programs and ensure innovation as necessary to ensure success.
- Create ambitious benchmarks for voter contact, grassroots engagement, and GOTV.
- Innovate new approaches to engage diverse constituencies at the doors and execute those approaches effectively.
- Regularly report state qualitative and quantitative accomplishments to field leadership and in-state stakeholders.
- Design and standardize best practices for data management and auditing using the organization’s voter file software in collaboration with the state Data Director.
- Establish a strong professional culture within the paid canvass organization focused on accountability, goals, and sense of purpose.
- Hire and train canvass staff to achieve their objectives.
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Skills and Qualifications
- 4+ cycles of campaign experience, with at least 2 cycles of paid canvass experience.
- Ability to work and adapt to a changing political and policy landscape.
- Demonstrated success with campaign planning. This includes the ability to develop short and long-term statewide plans, set objectives and metrics, track progress toward achieving objectives, and align those strategies with other progressive efforts in-state.
- Demonstrated understanding of long-form, conversational scripts at the door and how to train canvass leadership to implement these scripts among a large paid canvass team preferred.
- Proven success in recruiting, hiring and managing staff from all backgrounds, team building, and developing talent within an organization. Competency with, and commitment to leading with diversity, equity, and inclusion. Must be able to manage staff remotely.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective and successful paid canvass plans, including maintenance of a statewide turf tracker, voter contact, GOTV and best practices.
- Willingness to take initiative while juggling several priorities that may change quickly. Organized with excellent time management skills and ability to hit deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to write compelling program reports. Demonstrated ability to navigate conflict and work toward resolution required.
- Willingness to travel, work clear but variable hours, and access to reliable transportation.
- The Canvass Director will directly supervise the Wisconsin paid canvass staff, including the supervision and growth of multiple levels of management staff.
The salary for this position is based on experience and comes with a comprehensive benefits package.
- Health Insurance Coverage - 95% Employer Paid and 5% Employee.
- Paid parental leave.
- Retirement Savings Plan with matching contributions up to the first 5%.
- $150 Monthly Cell Phone and Internet Reimbursement.
- 13 days paid time off every calendar year, as well as other paid holidays.
Expected Hours of Work
- Normal hours of business are from 9:00 AM to at least 6:00pm Monday thru Friday, however employees will be required to work outside of normal business hours including weekends and nights.
- Employees will be required to abide by certain blackout dates during a campaign cycle, and generally not allowed to take more than 2 days off consecutively during blackout periods. Emergencies are not affected by this policy.
- So long as it is safe and appropriate to continue door-to-door and site-based canvassing, it will be a high priority. Employees may be required to work in extreme weather conditions, including rain, heat, and cold. Overseeing canvassing is considered an essential function of this job. This position is expected to interact regularly face-to-face with voters, volunteers or community partners. If state and government stay-at-home orders, phased reopening orders, or other factors related to the COVID-19 virus (or any other reason) limit For Our Future’s ability to engage safely in in-person work, employees may be assigned other duties to be conducted from their homes.
Health and Safety
For Our Future Action Fund is committed to the health and safety of our colleagues, candidates and communities we serve. A condition of employment is that all employees are “up to date” with their COVID-19 vaccines, which means: (1) fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and (2) once eligible, boosted with a single dose of a COVID-19 booster shot. Any offers of employment will be contingent upon the individual proving they are fully vaccinated and boosted (if eligible) against COVID-19. Reasonable accommodations for religious or medical reasons will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local law. Applicants may request a reasonable accommodation from firstname.lastname@example.org. All medical information will be treated as confidential medical information, stored separately from employees’ personnel files, in accordance with applicable law.
Additional requirements include sharing your vaccine record in the employer’s vaccine record tool, and may include mask wearing and social distancing. Requirements may change in the future with evolving public health guidance and applicable laws.
Additional exemptions from the COVID-19 vaccination requirement are available for roles with a work location in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Texas, Utah, and West Virginia in accordance with applicable state law.
The COVID-19 vaccination requirement does not apply to roles with a work location in Montana or Tennessee. All qualified applicants for roles with a work location in Montana or Tennessee will be considered regardless of vaccination status as required by applicable state or local law.
About For Our Future Action Fund
Founded in 2016, For Our Future Action Fund and For Our Future run the largest, permanent progressive field program across key states. Our vision is to expand the progressive infrastructure and advance economic prosperity for all, strong community schools, climate justice, and racial and social justice. Along with community partners and volunteers, we consistently engage with people in face-to-face conversations around what issues matter most to them. By organizing people in lasting relationships, we win elections, drive local progress, make a community’s collective voice heard, and help build the transformative power needed to improve people’s lives.
For Our Future Action Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. This application will not be used for limiting or excluding any applicant from consideration for employment on a basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law, including race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, creed, national origin, physical or mental disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, arrest record, conviction record, ancestry, military service, or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws or ordinances. Should an applicant need reasonable accommodation in the application process, they should contact a company representative.
The relationship between you and the For Our Future Action Fund is referred to as “employment at will.” This means that your employment can be terminated at any time for any reason, with or without cause, with or without notice, by you or the For Our Future Action Fund/For Our Future. No representative of For Our Future Action Fund has authority to enter into any employment agreement with you that is contrary to the foregoing “employment at will” relationship. By signing below, you hereby affirm that your employment is “at will”, and that you acknowledge that no oral or written statements or representations regarding your employment can alter your “at will” status, except for a written statement signed by you and our Executive Director or duly authorized representative as determined by a resolution of the Board of Directors of For Our Future Action Fund.