Head of Finance
Founders Factory Africa – Operations /
We're building the most powerful growth engine for African startups and their founders.
Founders Factory Africa (FFA) is unlike any place else you’ve ever worked. We are venture builders dedicated to solving some of Africa’s biggest challenges and capitalizing on it’s incredible potential by leveraging market and tech opportunities. Over the next five years, we’ll build 40 businesses from scratch and scale 100 existing growth-stage ventures through our venture development programs. Backed by leading corporates, such as Standard Bank – the continent’s largest bank – we have access to their vast resources, infrastructure, and expertise and will bring those to bear for all our ventures and entrepreneurs. Starting with FinTech and HealthTech, FFA will expand our focus as we grow, adding other sectors that include retail, transportation, energy, and education.
Our goals are audacious, and we want to work with people who share our passion for pursuing transformation at scale. We believe that good ideas can come from anywhere - not just the top - and we love to build our way out of uncertainty. At FFA, you will work with and meet outstanding and diverse talent from across the continent and help us build a collaborative, inclusive, and supportive network. You will work faster (and learn faster) than you ever have before.
With offices in Johannesburg and London, we are building an ambitious, talented, and passionate team, ensuring that Founders Factory Africa is the continent’s best partner for founders.
- Overall responsibility for Founders Factory Africa finances and reporting.
- Prepare annual company budgets, monthly management account packs and year end accounts
- Lead on investor relations including financial reporting, board pack preparation, monthly investor calls and quarterly board finance committees
- Manage cash flow and banking including overseeing all payments and international transfers (eg SARB approvals).
- Responsibility for all taxes across Africa and the UK including Corporation Tax, VAT, Employee taxes, R&D tax and transfer pricing
- Manage relationship with third party advisors including bookkeepers, auditors and tax advisors
- Take responsibility for HR function including monthly payroll, pension scheme, employee benefits (including ESOP)
- Company secretarial duties including all relevant filings with CIPC and Companies House
- Provide support & advice to portfolio businesses including accounting set up, banking advice, business planning, taxation and fundraising.
- Lead on portfolio tracking including fair value reporting and investment returns analysis
- Manage operating plan, including establishing OKRs and the tracking performance against them on a quarterly basis.
- Improvement and implementation of controls and processes across the business to improve operational and financial efficiency.
- Qualified chartered accountant
- Significant experience of leading a Finance function
- Experience of financial control, forecasting and accounting ideally under both South African and UK standards
- Experience of corporate tax regimes (specifically corporation tax, VAT and transfer pricing) in South Africa and UK
- Willing and able to be hands-on, with a focus on doing the work rather than overseeing it.
- Ability and confidence to present complex information in a clear and concise way to our board directors and corporate investors
- Experience of working in a start-up environment (highly desirable).
- Experience of HR procedures would be an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations
- Successful track record operating in a hyper-growth environment
- Ambitious, entrepreneurial, pragmatic, commercial, highly analytical, clear communicator, comfortable with ambiguity.
Founders Factory Africa provides a rare opportunity to join a team of world-class thinkers, entrepreneurs, and creators. We provide the freedom and excitement of early-stage startups but the stability and resources of a large organisation. Founders Factory Africa has global ambitions, and you’ll play a key role in our future success.
This role is a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a high-growth organization as part of the founding team and to help shape the future of Africa’s startup ecosystem.