Senior Backend Engineer (Entale)
London, United Kingdom
Studio – Engineering
Entale makes it possible to indulge your curiosity while listening to podcasts, by adding pictures, links, maps and other relevant content to engage with or save for later.
Our mission is to bring this immersive experience to all spoken word audio, and to do that we're using Natural Language Processing and Entity Recognition technologies to automate the detection of relevant, interactive content. Yes, we’re building AI for podcasts!
You'll be responsible for owning the range of back-end services that power our mobile and web apps: our search and recommendation system, content editor, admin panel, and the AI-powered content-generation system that makes Entale unique.
We also have a top class Studio team, that produces some of the best chart-topping shows in the UK right now. Davina McCall and Andy Zaltzman use us for their podcasts as well as:
• Publishers like The Guardian and The Metro
• YouTube influencers like Byron Davis and Lisa Potter-Dixon
• Imperial College and Facebook for their brainfood content
Here is are some of our highlights over the last year!
• Webby Award for Best Visual Design
• Awarded a Google DNI grant
• Featured by Apple as the number 1 podcast listening app
• Raised £2M+ in funding
• Born in the Founders Factory studio and spun out into the accelerator
• Bethnal Green Ventures track of the Future of News Pilot Fund
As our Senior Back-End Engineer you will be responsible for:
• Contributing directly with hands-on development, as well as providing guidance to other engineers on the team on how best to structure interfacing work
• Contributing to all aspects of engineering including technical strategy, and implementing best practices & technology stacks
• Informing and making key decisions on technical back-end architectures
Our Tech Stack
• Infrastructure hosted with the AWS stack of services (ECS, Lambda, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch service, CloudFront, S3)
• Terraform for infrastructure provisioning
• Backend services written in NodeJS, with hapi for RESTful APIs
• Backend data stored with DynamoDB, with Redis and Elasticsearch for querying
• Data fetching using Apollo for GraphQL
• Web apps written using React & Redux- Realm and Realm Cloud for local and cloud user data storage
• Automated deployment using CircleCI
• Testing with Jest and purest