Chief Technology Officer - Tripplo
Founders Factory Africa – Portfolio /
Tripplo (Pty) Ltd is a Johannesburg based, South African registered business. Our vision is to
create a new standard for African road freight logistics. There is a growing need across the
African continent for in-country and inter-country goods that need to be transported by road.
Therefore, road freight logistics is pivotal to economies on the African continent. There are
currently some major challenges in the industry such as: high fragmentation, inefficiency,
opaqueness, and unreliability. These problems and many others have resulted in African
economies losing hundreds of billions of dollars yearly.
Tripplo will create the new standard for road freight logistics in Africa by building a software
platform that automates and optimises operations for transporters. Tripplo’s initial focus is
solving problems for transporters (truck owners) which will naturally result in cargo owners and
cargo brokers benefiting immensely. Tripplo will enable transporters to: manage their company
and data compliantly, manage compliance of their fleet in one place, do automated and
comprehensive route plans, get automated trip performance tracking, conduct thorough trip
financial analysis, access in-trip services, access business through a loads marketplace, and
ability to do electronic proof of deliveries.
Whilst other emerging platforms are mainly focus on connecting demand with supply, Tripplo is
mastering each mile of the African road to ensure that movement of goods between different
points on the African continent is as efficient as possible.
Talent is core to the execution of Tripplo’s vision. We value and support each other as a team to
ensure each team member realises their full potential and ultimately deliver quality as a team for
all stakeholders. We therefore welcome a diverse range of opinions, partners, and doers in the
journey. We then ensure that feedback flows consistently, and we continuously improve
ourselves in all we do. We have a strong action-orientation as we harness the window of
opportunity to revolutionise the state of African logistics.
With offices in Johannesburg, we collaborate with teams from different parts of the world,
different cultures, different time zones, and different exposures, making the journey even more
We are looking for a business focused, entrepreneurial CTO to join Tripplo’s founding team.
You will act as the technical co-founder, taking a leading role in the prototyping and market
validation of new products within the platform, and then heading up all aspects of product
design, technical architecture, and technical development. The role will direct the continued
growth and development of both the product and the company as a whole.
● Support in the planning and execution of a well-designed solution architecture and
implementation of features/modules based on the roadmap.
● Develop well designed APIs to be used in a SAAS based platform. Manage basic
front-end and back-end software solutions in delivering the platform to customers.
● Conduct extensive research on peripheral technologies that can be integrated into
● Incorporate feedback loops from the market into improvements of the software products
● Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure successful initial product
Build and Spin-off for phase implementation.
● Be an active and collaborative member of the leadership team, working closely with the
Business Lead/co-founder and stakeholder team to successfully build and implement the
● Grow and manage a tech team
● Day-to-day software development delivery and working with internal and external
stakeholders in delivering the software.
● Do code reviews and play a pivotal role in integrating multiple silo pieces into the
● Develop code with the development team where necessary to increase software
development capacity where it is needed
Required Skills and Competencies
● Demonstrated track-record of delivering well-engineered products with modern
technologies for a variety of different problem domains
● Experienced building scalable SaaS based products across in any of the cloud platforms
e.g. Azure, AWS, GCP etc.
● Good working knowledge of API design (e.g. REST, OpenAPI, GraphQL)
● Understanding microservices architecture design paradigm.
● Proficiency in at least the of the following development languages:,.Net Core, NodeJS,
● At least 5 years of experience working with well-engineered software products with
● Good understanding of automated deployment experience using CI/CD principles and
● Knowledge of a range of current cross-platform product development framework, such
as React JS, React Native, Vue JS, Angular.
● Knowledge of project management methodologies
● Strong understanding of integration and orchestration services.
● Has experience working in an agile environment and is able to constantly test, learn and
iterate based on user feedback and prioritize features
● Ability to manage time effectively and collaborate with external team members and
● Strong communication skills - you’ll be sharing the results of analyses and discussing
technical problems with the team
● Managing costs and budgets across the technology value streams
● Great team player
● Relentlessly resourceful and creative problem solving
● High risk tolerance and boundless ambition
● A collaborative approach and willingness to be wrong
● Brilliant at bringing together people across functions, countries and cultures
● Passionate about users’ needs
● Driven by consistent iteration
● Excellent at reducing uncertainty
● You will have the opportunity to partner with the business founder as a technical leader
of the business, with a strategic focus
● Potential to participate in Tripplo’s shareholding
● You will be working in an exciting start-up environment where you can practise and
harness your creativity and innovation.
● You will have an opportunity to be part of a founding team of a high-potential start-up
with global ambition.
● Tripplo has built very strategic partnerships and is backed by some global organisations
in Africa which you will also have access to.
● Go through the job description and assess if you fit the requirements,
● Submit your CV, cover letter and other relevant application documentation to
email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org,
● If you fit the criteria, you will take part in a 30-minute telephonic interview,
● If successful, you will be invited to our offices for a 1-hour in-person interview,
● If successful, you will be given a case study for you to solve and present back to Tripplo,
● If successful, Tripplo will conduct reference checks,
● If successful, we will begin offer negotiations and you will receive a formal offer letter,
● If all parties are happy, we will onboard you to become part of our exciting business.