Founder in Residence, CEO (Gutenberg)
London, United Kingdom /
Studio – Commercial /
Founders Factory is unlike anywhere else. We create entirely new products from scratch and turn promising concepts into prototypes, and ultimately an MVP, validating decisions commercially along the way to attract a founding team that can spin out into a fully-fledged business.
Project Gutenberg is one of our latest products developed at the Factory and now we need a Founder to build this business.
🤷♂️ So what is Project Gutenberg?
The passion economy around newsletter writers, creators and experts is growing but monetising your audience is still extremely hard. What’s the best way to monetise? How much should I charge? How best to trade-off growth vs revenue?
Gutenberg aims to be the ultimate toolkit for the independent newsletter creator and leveraging automation to free up creators to focus on creating. Products like Substack and Patreon are great but we think there is an opportunity to use AI, data and monetization tools to quickly expand a users’ audience, create a much more valuable reading experience and instantly create revenue streams for creators.
We think the opportunity is huge and nascent with 17M Americans earning $7B as independent creators back in 2017 and surging growth in new platforms as people seek both financial independence and entertainment in these difficult times. With the backing of The Guardian, we think we have an opportunity to accelerate a creative revolution in sustainable media publishing and consumption where more people are paid to share what they love.
- Executing the successful build and launch of Project Gutenberg
- Setting a clear vision for the business (including product product direction)
- Activating distribution partnerships, sourcing inventory and supercharging growth
- Hiring and retaining a world class team beyond the founders
- Experience taking an early stage business forward
- Experience in a leadership capacity
- A proven track record of taking ideas and bringing them to life
- Constantly experimenting with new technologies and tools to drive innovation and creativity
- Strong communication skills - you’ll be sharing the results of analyses, and discussing technical problems, with a variety of technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong negotiation skills - you will be responsible for striking deals with suppliers for bulk discounted inventory
- Thrive in uncertainty - ideally in an agency business and/or startup environment
- Deep sector experience in product or marketing (bonus)