Founder in Residence, CEO (Project Spencer)
London, United Kingdom /
Studio – Commercial /
Founders Factory is unlike anywhere else. Within our incubator, we create entirely new products from scratch and turn promising concepts into prototypes and MVPs. We validate commercial assumptions along the way to attract a full founding team, then spin the new company out as a fully-fledged business.
🛒 What is Project Spencer?
Project Spencer is a global marketplace which allows exceptional independent brands and makers to be discovered by world class buyers and retailers.
We’re on a mission to enable retailers to uncover the most exciting new producers and brands from around the world, whilst simplifying and de-risking the buying process, so they can focus on doing what they love. We’ll leverage our platform data combined with insights on emerging trends, to guide the buying process and facilitate connections that will help retailers and brands to thrive.
Our vision is for a marketplace that creates value and connections between independent makers and independent retailers. Independent retailers will be empowered to deliver a personalised experience for customers who enjoy discovering new products and brands regularly. Brands will have full visibility and control over what products are available to which retailer, and enable them to provide the stories, descriptions and images that will enable their products to come to life in bricks and mortar and e-commerce stores. And we’ll empower all to make data driven decisions.
We’re looking for a Founder in Residence, CEO to lead Project Spencer, and the business that it becomes. As Founder in Residence, you will establish the overarching vision, develop the marketplace, the product functionality, go-to-market strategy and attract a world-class founding team around you. After Project Spencer’s incubation period, you will become the CEO of the newly created business as it spins out of our incubator and joins our accelerator programme. You’ll have £250K funding as well as twelve months of operational support from Founders Factory.
You will be responsible for
- The ultimate success of Project Spencer and the resulting business, from build and launch through to scale
- Setting a clear mission and strategy, including product direction
- Building out our network of independent brands
- Establishing client partnerships with retailers
- Hiring, motivating and retaining a world-class team
- Driving day-to-day operations and coaching functional teams
You will possess the following skills
- A proven track record of bringing ideas to life
- Experience working with new technologies and digital products
- Experience catalysing innovation and change
- Marketplace experience
- Significant experience in a leadership capacity
- Visionary: mission-driven and ambitious, with a clear vision and strategy
- A Thought Leader: charismatic, expert and at home on a stage; able to form views quickly in the face of new information and articulate them clearly and persuasively
- A Dealmaker: commercially-minded and able to conceptualise, design, negotiate and close brilliant deals with partners, customers and investors alike
- A Product Owner: customer-oriented and able to design, manage and market world-class products
- A Decision-maker: decisive in the face of limited information
- A Firefighter: calm in the face of unexpected challenges; quick to create, communicate and execute responses
- The Wearer of Many Hats: you do what it takes to get stuff done