Back-End Engineer - Tripplo
Founders Factory Africa – Portfolio /
Tripplo (Pty) Ltd is a Johannesburg based, South African registered business. Our vision is to
create a new standard for African road freight logistics. There is a growing need across the
African continent for in-country and inter-country goods that need to be transported by road.
Therefore, road freight logistics is pivotal to economies on the African continent. There are
currently some major challenges in the industry such as: high fragmentation, inefficiency,
opaqueness, and unreliability. These problems and many others have resulted in African
economies losing hundreds of billions of dollars yearly.
Tripplo will create the new standard for road freight logistics in Africa by building a software
platform that automates and optimises operations for transporters. Tripplo’s initial focus is
solving problems for transporters (truck owners) which will naturally result in cargo owners and
cargo brokers benefiting immensely. Tripplo will enable transporters to: manage their company
and data compliantly, manage compliance of their fleet in one place, do automated and
comprehensive route plans, get automated trip performance tracking, conduct thorough trip
financial analysis, access in-trip services, access business through a loads marketplace, and
ability to do electronic proof of deliveries.
Whilst other emerging platforms are mainly focus on connecting demand with supply, Tripplo is
mastering each mile of the African road to ensure that movement of goods between different
points on the African continent is as efficient as possible.
Talent is core to the execution of Tripplo’s vision. We value and support each other as a team to
ensure each team member realises their full potential and ultimately deliver quality as a team for
all stakeholders. We therefore welcome a diverse range of opinions, partners, and doers in the
journey. We then ensure that feedback flows consistently, and we continuously improve
ourselves in all we do. We have a strong action-orientation as we harness the window of
opportunity to revolutionise the state of African logistics.
With offices in Johannesburg, we collaborate with teams from different parts of the world,
different cultures, different time zones, and different exposures, making the journey even more
We are looking for an analytical, results-driven back-end engineer who will work with the Tripplo team members to troubleshoot and improve current back-end applications and processes. The back-end developer with an understanding of one of the following technologies (Node.js, Python, .NET Core) responsible for managing the interchange of data between the server and the users. Your primary focus will be the development of all server-side logic, definition and maintenance of the central database, and ensuring high performance and responsiveness to requests from the front-end. You will also be responsible for integrating the front-end elements built by your co-workers into the application. Therefore, a basic understanding of front-end technologies is necessary as well. You will use your understanding of programming languages and tools to analyze current codes and industry developments, formulate more efficient processes, solve problems, and create a more seamless experience for users. You should have excellent communication, computer, and project management skills. To succeed as a Backend Developer at Tripplo, you should be focused on building a better, more efficient program and creating a better end-user experience. You should be knowledgeable, collaborative, and motivated. The role will direct the continued growth and development of both the product and the company as a whole.
● Compile and analyze data, processes, and codes to troubleshoot problems and identify
areas for improvement.
● Collaborating with the front-end developers and other team members to establish
objectives and design more functional, cohesive codes to enhance the user experience.
● Developing ideas for new programs, products, or features by monitoring industry
developments and trends.
● Recording data and reporting it to proper parties, such as clients or leadership.
● Participating in continuing education and training to remain current on best practices,
learn new programming languages, and better assist other team members.
● Taking lead on projects, as needed.
Required Skills and Competencies
● Bachelor’s degree in computer programming, computer science, or a related field.
● More education or experience may be required.
● Fluency or understanding of specific languages, such as Java, PHP, or Python, and
operating systems may be required.
● An analytical mind
● Strong understanding of the web development cycle and programming techniques and
● Focus on efficiency, user experience, and process improvement.
● Excellent project and time management skills.
● Strong problem solving and verbal and written communication skills.
● Ability to work independently or with a group.
● Willingness to sit at a desk for extended periods.
● Negotiation skills and the ability to develop strong working relationships
● Commercial and business awareness
● Good communication skills – both written and verbal
● A keen eye for detail and desire to probe further into data
● Ability to stick to time constraints
● Exposure working in a start-up environment
● Great team player
● Relentlessly resourceful and creative problem solving
● High risk tolerance and boundless ambition
● A collaborative approach and willingness to be wrong
● Brilliant at bringing together people across functions, countries and cultures
● Passionate about users’ needs
● Driven by consistent iteration
● Excellent at reducing uncertainty
● You will have the opportunity to partner with the business founder as a technical leader
of the business, with a strategic focus
● You will be working in an exciting start-up environment where you can practise and
harness your creativity and innovation.
● You will have an opportunity to be part of a founding team of a high-potential start-up
with global ambition.
● Tripplo has built very strategic partnerships and is backed by some global organisations
in Africa which you will also have access to
● Go through the job description and assess if you fit the requirements,
● Submit your CV, cover letter and other relevant application documentation to
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com,
● If you fit the criteria, you will take part in a 30-minute telephonic interview,
● If successful, you will be invited to our offices for a 1-hour in-person interview,
● If successful, you will be given a case study for you to solve and present back to Tripplo,
● If successful, Tripplo will conduct reference checks,
● If successful, we will begin offer negotiations and you will receive a formal offer letter,
● If all parties are happy, we will onboard you to become part of our exciting business.