Little Kids Rock - Director of People and Culture
Verona, NJ /
Little Kids Rock – Business /
Who we are:
Little Kids Rock transforms lives by restoring, expanding, and innovating music education in our schools. Our network of thousands of K-12 teachers across 45 states leads a national movement that brings innovative and inclusive music education to students.
Using genres including rock, pop, Latin, and rap, our program empowers teachers to build music programs as diverse as the kids they serve. Our students see themselves reflected in their classes, which strengthens their connection to their school, their peers, and their community. Little Kids Rock also donates necessary instruments, and curriculum, meeting a key need of many school music programs.
The world of music expands through innovation. We ensure that music education does as well.
More than 500,000 kids currently participate in Little Kids Rock programs nationwide. Since 2002, the organization has reached more than 850,000 students with highly-inclusive and culturally relevant music education. We aim to reach the 1,000,000th student in our history this year.
Who we need:
The Director of People and Culture will collaborate with all team members as the primary stakeholder of the lifecycle employee experience. You will develop, implement and maintain talent-related strategies and systems that make Little Kids Rock a high-performing, rewarding, diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace. Additionally, you will develop and support career growth, sustain a positive organizational culture, develop and manage talent sourcing and retention practices for the best people, facilitate employee performance and engagement, and oversee HR-related functions.
What you’ll do:
You would be responsible for overseeing and developing professional growth and development, employee performance, organizational Culture and Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DIB), HR operations, talent strategy, and talent acquisition.
These include but are not limited to the following:
- Work with all departments to support the development and delivery of effective professional development programs that support employee performance and growth
- Lead organizational culture building initiatives
- Identify opportunities for job-related and career path learning and development for all staff
- Facilitate the annual employee performance management cycle to include periodic reflections on performance goals and personal growth
- Provide coaching, training, and other forms of support to both promote success and address underperformance throughout the workforce
- Develop and manage an internship program to provide effective training opportunities for interns (with a focus on engaging local Little Kids Rock alumni), support for team members and a pipeline for team growth
- Primary point person for team member questions, concerns and guidance on HR matters
- Identify talent-related needs and develop key talent initiatives informed by best practices
- Work with search partners and colleagues to develop and implement processes to evaluate candidates through interviews, demonstrations, work assignments, and other elements of a comprehensive selection process
- Lead cross-functional internal teams to implement innovative talent initiatives and sustain them over time
What you’ll bring:
- At least eight years of progressive experience in a social enterprise, mission-driven corporation or nonprofit organization in a talent and culture operations position
- Experience successfully helping define, create, and perpetuate a high-performing, rewarding, diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture
- Excellent at providing timely feedback, managing conflict, and coaching through challenges
- Experience working with remote employees
- Comfortable developing and implementing new ways of working and managing change in a fast-paced environment
- Deep knowledge of HR processes, including sourcing and retention, performance management, benefits administration, federal and state employment laws and regulations
- Optimal discretion and sense of confidentiality, serving as a trusted advisor to leadership and employees
- Can work independently with minimal supervision, but can also respond to critical immediate requests
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, HR systems, and database systems, preferably Salesforce
- Must thrive in an innovative environment, show grace and positivity under pressure, and display a sense of fun, wonder and humor
- Bachelor’s Degree required with a preference toward an advanced certificate or degree in a related field
- An undeniable passion for the work of Little Kids Rock; music maker a plus!
Location and Travel
Little Kids Rock is located in Verona, NJ (near Montclair). Occasional travel will be required.
Working at Little Kids Rock – Our Workplace Values
- We are committed to kids and teachers and passionate about the power of music to impact their lives.
- We are one team, with one mission, and one groove, and together we make good things happen.
- We are creative, entrepreneurial, positive and playful.
- We are inspirational.
- We are accountable.
- We are respectful.
- We support personal and professional growth.
- We work to lead the field – thoughtfully, strategically and with urgency.
Little Kids Rock is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We promote equity, diversity and inclusion in order to create a healthy and safe work space as we work together to foster success for future generations. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.