Software Engineer - Internship/Co-op (Summer 2017)
Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence company, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare and Swarm, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, and in sales offices around the globe, we’re dedicated to our trailblazing mission—enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About our engineering internship/co-op program:
We're looking for enthusiastic interns who are looking forward to integrating with our talented engineering organization. An internship (or co-op) at Foursquare lasts at least 12 consecutive weeks during the summer (starting May/June) of 2017 at our New York City (HQ) office, and you'll be asked for some serious contributions.
Types of projects range from working on our core features and services that millions of users interact with daily to bolstering our infrastructure to handle the ever increasing demands. You'll work closely with a mentor throughout the program and get a chance to dig through our extensive venues codebase, while writing server code in Scala or trying your hand at mobile app development. Our ideal intern has a genuine passion for Foursquare and our pursuit of conquering the location space, new technologies, and is just as eager to contribute as they are willing to learn!
What we're looking for
- Passionate about the world of computer science supported by excelling in relevant classes in school or by writing serious code for personal side projects
- Familiar with programming languages like Java, C++, or Python and excited to pick up new languages (we use Scala!) and technologies
- Willing to take ownership and drive projects forward while being open to providing and receiving input from others you work with
- Comfortable communicating and working in a small team environment that is centered around collaboration
- A plus for having previous engineering internships with hands-on production code experience