Engineering Manager, Hardware
United States /
At Framework, we believe the time has come for products that are designed to last. Founded in San Francisco in 2019, our mission is to remake Consumer Electronics to respect people and the planet.
Our first product is the Framework Laptop, a thin, light, high-performance notebook that can be upgraded, customized, and repaired in ways that no other notebook can. Alongside this, we've launched the Framework Marketplace to enable an ecosystem of parts and modules. We've seen a fantastic reception to our first product from customers and reviewers from outlets like Linus Tech Tips, Ars Technica, and Wirecutter, along with landing on the cover of TIME's Best Inventions of 2021. As a company, we made #35 on Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies of 2022.
We come from successful consumer electronics startups including the founding team of Oculus, and we recently closed an $18M Series A fundraising round to fuel our roadmap. Even better (and maybe unusually for an early stage startup), we're in a financially healthy position going forward off of our product revenue. We care deeply about building a diverse and inclusive team, and we hope you do too!
We're looking for a fantastic Engineering Manager to lead and mentor our growing engineering team of electrical, mechanical, and firmware engineers building incredible upgradeable, customizable, repairable products. Because of the unique modularity and longevity of our products, our engineering efforts require creative problem solving in addition to core engineering strength. You'll need to guide the team through invention and development of novel solutions for enabling our mission. Our team philosophy is also to have managers get hands on as owners on specific engineering and product initiatives, so you'll get the opportunity to directly build parts of our product roadmap. As one of the early leaders on the team, you'll have substantial impact on our engineering efforts company-wide.
This is a full time position that can be local to our San Francisco headquarters or remote elsewhere in the US. #LI-Remote
- Guiding design, architecture, and NPI of new products on our roadmap, along with sourcing, vetting, and bringing up new suppliers and partners.
- Helping grow our engineering team across the US and Taiwan across a range of functional areas.
- Onboarding, mentoring, and managing engineers across junior and senior roles, guiding them through not only tactical execution, but also career and personal growth.
- Developing and deploying new processes and tools to improve engineering excellence.
- Working closely with product and program managers to prioritize and execute on product development processes.
- Taking direct, hands on ownership of specific product and engineering efforts that align to your technical expertise.
- 5+ years of experience in electrical, firmware, mechanical, or systems engineering on consumer electronics products.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering field or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience managing an electrical, firmware, mechanical, or cross-functional engineering team building complex products.
- Familiarity starting products from a blank slate and carrying them through prototyping, NPI, and into production.
- A desire to build diverse and inclusive teams.
- A deeply collaborative team mentality and an ability to unlock the best in each team member.
- A passion for environmentalism and/or DIY.
- Experience as an engineer or manager in a hardware startup.
- Expertise developing computing products.
- Prior experience developing individual contributors into managers.
- A background managing international teams.
What we offer
- Competitive salary, equity, and health benefits
- Flexible work hours and locations
- The chance to be an early member of Framework's team and to shape our products
- The opportunity to work at a startup that is fixing a major industry