Lead Software Engineer
Burlingame, CA or Remote /
At Framework, our mission is to fix consumer electronics. We believe products can be better both for users and the environment. Unlike most electronics products on the market today, ours are designed to be repairable and upgradeable to enable long usage lifetimes and deep personalization.
To support our product ecosystems, we are also launching a marketplace allowing users to buy and sell new and used devices and parts.
We come from successful consumer electronics startups including the founding team of Oculus and e-commerce companies, and we’re funded to fulfill our mission. We care deeply about building a diverse and inclusive team, and we hope you do too!
We are looking for a Lead Software Engineer to implement the MVP of our marketplace with Ruby on Rails and Solidus. In this role you will be establishing the engineering team and culture for us to to build on at Framework. This position will report to our Head of Marketplace and will work closely with our development partner based in Europe for the design, implementation, testing, deployment and maintenance of all marketplace features.
We’re headquartered in Burlingame, CA, and are open to local, relocated, or remote candidates.
- You have at least 5 years of experience building production applications with Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
- You have extensive experience writing different types of automated tests and know the pros and cons of each.
- You write clean, elegant code that gets the job done, without getting fixated on perfection.
- You have extensive experience with Git (e.g. you write useful commit messages, you understand different merge strategies).
- You have strong written and oral communication skills, and can apply them to a team environment.
- You know what a good code review looks like.
- You have experience working in Agile environments with volatile scopes and requirements.
- You take extreme ownership of the code you write, all the way to its production deployment and beyond.
- Experience with Heroku, AWS and other IaaS/PaaS platforms.
- Experience with Spree, Solidus or both (better yet if you can prove it through your open-source work).
- Experience in the eCommerce/DTC/marketplace industries.
- Experience with JS frameworks such as React and Vue.
- Experience working on open source projects.
- Experience working with remote teams through asynchronous processes.
A typical day at Framework
- You autonomously deploy the previous day's work to production and make sure everything went smoothly.
- You start the day by addressing the reviews left on your PRs by other team members, and reviewing the PRs they opened.
- You report your daily standup through Standuply on Slack.
- You talk to Framework's head of marketplace to figure out the best way to implement a new feature for the current sprint.
- You open a pull request, documenting all the context your team needs to understand the change and review it.
- You pair with a fellow team member to exchange ideas on a complex issue.
- You leave estimates (asynchronously) on items that may go in the new sprint.
What we offer
• Competitive salary, equity and health benefits.
• Flexible work hours.
• Be an early member of Framework's team and get to shape the technological direction of our marketplace.
• Contribute to open source software as part of your day-to-day work.
• Work with a world class team of hardware and software engineers.
• Work at a startup that is making a positive social impact.