Senior Full Stack Engineer
At Framework, we believe the time has come for products that are designed to last. Founded in San Francisco in 2019, our mission is to remake Consumer Electronics to respect people and the planet.
Our first product is the Framework Laptop, a thin, light, high-performance notebook that can be upgraded, customized, and repaired in ways that no other notebook can. Alongside this, we've launched the Framework Marketplace to enable an ecosystem of parts and modules. We've seen a fantastic reception to our first product from customers and reviewers from outlets like Linus Tech Tips, Ars Technica, and Wirecutter, along with landing on the cover of TIME's Best Inventions of 2021. As a company, we made #35 on Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies of 2022.
We come from successful consumer electronics startups including the founding team of Oculus, and we recently closed an $18M Series A fundraising round to fuel our roadmap. We care deeply about building a diverse and inclusive team, and we hope you do too!
We are looking for a full-stack engineer to join our Marketplace engineering team building our eCommerce platform with Ruby on Rails and Solidus/Spree Commerce. This position will report to our Head of Marketplace and will work closely with our development partner based in Europe and our quickly growing internal marketplace development team based in the US for the design, implementation, testing, deployment and maintenance of all marketplace features. Like Basecamp, our frontend is 100% server-rendered HTML over the wire. No JSON APIs, no GraphQL, no React - just form submissions and links.
We’re headquartered in Burlingame, CA, and are open to local or remote candidates in the US. #LI-Remote
- You have at least 5 years of experience building production-grade apps with Ruby on Rails.
- You have experience building complex front-end web applications.
- You have extensive experience writing different types of automated tests and know the pros and cons of each.
- You have a strong understanding of design and have experience collaborating with internal or external design teams.
- You write clean, elegant code that gets the job done, without getting fixated on perfection.
- You have extensive experience with Git (e.g. you write useful commit messages, you understand different merge strategies).
- You have strong written and oral communication skills, and can apply them to a team environment.
- You know what a good code review looks like.
- You have experience working in Agile environments with volatile scopes and requirements.
- You take extreme ownership of the code you write, all the way to its production deployment and beyond.
- Experience with Heroku, AWS and other IaaS/PaaS platforms.
- Experience with Turbolinks.
- Experience with Spree and/or Solidus.
- Experience in the eCommerce/DTC/marketplace industries.
- Experience working on open source projects.
- Experience working with remote teams through asynchronous processes.
- Experience with CI platforms such as CircleCI.
A typical day at Framework
- You autonomously deploy the previous day's work to production and make sure everything went smoothly.
- You start the day by addressing the reviews left on your PRs by other team members, and reviewing the PRs they opened.
- You attend your daily standup with the US and international team to give updates
- You talk to Framework's Head of Marketplace to figure out the best way to implement a new feature for the current sprint.
- You open a pull request, documenting all the context your team needs to understand the change and review it.
- You pair with a fellow team member to exchange ideas on a complex issue.
- You leave estimates (asynchronously) on items that may go in the new sprint.
- You join the team for our weekly team meeting to hear about the latest company plans/meet new teammates, with an optional and remote fun team activity to join beforehand if you'd like.
What we offer
• Competitive salary, equity and health benefits.
• Flexible work hours.
• Be an early member of Framework's team and get to shape the technological direction of our marketplace.
• Contribute to open source software as part of your day-to-day work.
• Work with a world class team of hardware and software engineers.
• Work at a startup that is making a positive social impact.