At Framework, our mission is to fix consumer electronics. We believe products can be better both for users and the environment. Unlike most electronics products on the market today, ours are designed to be repairable and upgradeable to enable long usage lifetimes and deep personalization.
Our team comes from successful consumer electronics startups including the founding team of Oculus and e-commerce companies, and we’re funded to fulfill our mission.
We are looking for an Electrical, Hardware, or Systems Engineer based in Taiwan to drive the architecture and engineering of key Framework products. Because of the modularity of our products, the electrical design work required is a unique challenge that is extremely important for fulfilling the company mission. You’ll need to invent the solutions for delivering upgradeability, repairability, compatibility, and great product performance simultaneously. As one of the early engineers in Framework, you'll also have a high level of influence on our product roadmaps and architectural philosophy going forward.
This is a full time position working remotely in Taiwan, and will require local and (eventually) international travel to suppliers and our Burlingame, CA headquarters.
- Drive the electrical design and architecture of our product roadmap from initial ideation through prototyping, NPI, documentation, and into production.
- Design evaluation boards and product sub-systems across high level specifications and block diagrams as well as schematic and in some cases layout.
- Collaborate with our Firmware and Mechanical Engineers to develop, mock up, and test prototypes to explore new product concepts and solve design challenges as they come up.
- Create validation plans, and bring up and debug electrical systems and products during NPI.
- Manage the relationship with JDM electrical engineering teams to ensure we are leveraging their development experience and expertise to the fullest.
- Work closely with our supply chain team members on evaluating, bringing up, and managing electrical component and module suppliers.
- Proactively track and experiment with new technologies, processes, and suppliers to improve our products.
- 5+ years of experience in electrical or systems engineering for electronics products.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- A background in driving the electrical development of novel products from initial concept to production.
- A strong skillset in circuit and system design, including component selection, schematic, layout, and simulation.
- Expertise in one or more of embedded system design, RF/EMI, power supply design, or high speed signal integrity.
- Experience with electrical DFM and working with manufacturing partners to bring PCBAs and products through design and validation into mass production.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with other engineers and program managers.
- Strong written and verbal English communication abilities and familiarity with working across time-zones.
- A passion for environmentalism and/or DIY.
- Expertise with electrical engineering and system architecture in a startup.
- Previous work publishing open source hardware or using open source electrical CAD tools like KiCad.
- A strong understanding of adjacent functional areas like mechanical engineering and firmware engineering.
- Familiarity with designing and integrating electromechanical assemblies like displays, batteries, cables, and input modules.
- Familiarity with integration of recent SoCs, DRAM, and WiFi modules.
- Experience working as a remote member of an international team.
What we offer
- Competitive salary and equity.
- Flexible work hours and locations.
- Be an early member of Framework's team and get to shape the strategic direction of our operations.
- The chance to work at a startup that is fixing the consumer electronics industry.