Burlingame, CA or Remote /
At Framework, we believe the time has come for consumer electronics products that are designed to last. Founded in San Francisco in 2019, our mission is to empower you with great products you can easily customize, upgrade, and repair, increasing longevity and reducing e-waste in the process.
Our first product is the Framework Laptop, a thin, lightweight, high-performance 13.5” notebook that can be upgraded, customized, and repaired in ways that no other notebook can. To support this, we're also standing up a marketplace to enable an ecosystem of new, used, and refurbished products and modules.
We come from successful consumer electronics startups including the founding team of Oculus and e-commerce companies, and we’re funded to fulfill our mission. We care deeply about building a diverse and inclusive team, and we hope you do too!
We are looking for an Electrical, Hardware, or Systems Engineer to own the architecture and engineering of key Framework products. Because of the modularity of our products, the electrical design work requires creativity and unique insight in addition to core engineering strength. You’ll need to invent the solutions for delivering upgradeability, repairability, compatibility, and great product performance simultaneously. As one of the early engineers in Framework, you'll also have a high level of influence on our product roadmaps and architectural philosophy going forward.
This is a full time position that can be local to our Burlingame, CA headquarters or remote elsewhere in the US.
- Drive the electrical design and architecture of our product roadmap from initial ideation through prototyping, NPI, documentation, and into production.
- Design electrical systems and boards from high level specifications and block diagrams to schematics and in some cases layout.
- Collaborate with our Firmware and Mechanical Engineers to develop, mock up, and test prototypes to explore new product concepts and solve design challenges as they come up.
- Create validation plans, and bring up and debug electrical systems and products during NPI.
- Manage the relationship with JDM electrical engineering teams to ensure we are leveraging their development experience and expertise to the fullest.
- Work closely with our supply chain team members on evaluating, bringing up, and managing electrical component and module suppliers.
- Proactively track and experiment with new technologies, processes, and suppliers to improve our products.
- 5+ years of experience in electrical or systems engineering for electronics products.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- A background in driving the electrical development of novel products from initial concept to production.
- A strong skillset in circuit and system design, including component selection, schematic, layout, and simulation.
- Expertise in one or more of embedded system design, RF/EMI, power supply design, or high speed signal integrity.
- Experience with electrical DFM and working with manufacturing partners to bring PCBAs and products through design and validation into mass production.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with other engineers and program managers.
- Strong written and verbal English communication abilities and familiarity with working with international teams.
- A passion for environmentalism and/or DIY.
- Expertise with electrical engineering and system architecture in a startup.
- Previous work publishing open source hardware or using open source electrical CAD tools like KiCad.
- A strong understanding of adjacent functional areas like mechanical engineering and firmware engineering.
- Familiarity with designing and integrating electromechanical assemblies like displays, batteries, cables, and input modules.
- Familiarity with integration of recent SoCs, DRAM, and WiFi modules.