At Framework, we believe the time has come for products that are designed to last. Founded in San Francisco in 2019, our mission is to remake Consumer Electronics to respect people and the planet.
Our first product is the Framework Laptop, a thin, lightweight, high-performance 13.5” notebook that can be upgraded, customized, and repaired in ways that no other notebook can. To support this, we're also creating a marketplace to enable an ecosystem of new, used, and refurbished products and modules.
We come from successful consumer electronics startups including the founding team of Oculus, and we’re funded to fulfill our mission. We care deeply about building a diverse and inclusive team, and we hope you do too!
We are looking for a Firmware and Systems Software Engineer based in Taiwan to own key parts of the software architecture and firmware implementation of our products. Our products are designed to be open and transparent, and that extends to how we think about firmware and software. We care deeply about open source software and exposing greater configurability to people who want it, and a key part of this role is adopting and contributing to open libraries and frameworks. As one of the early engineers in Framework, you'll also have a high level of influence on our products and software philosophy going forward.
This is a full time position in Taiwan, and will require some local and eventually international travel to suppliers and our Burlingame, CA headquarters.
- Own implementation of embedded controller, BIOS/UEFI, drivers, and/or embedded microcontroller firmware for upcoming platforms on our products.
- Contribute to the electrical architecture, key IC selection, and overall UX on upcoming platforms.
- Manage and review work done by firmware teams at our JDM partners.
- Collaborate with our Electrical Engineers to develop, mock up, and test prototypes to explore new product concepts and solve design challenges as they come up.
- Create firmware validation plans and bring up and debug systems during NPI on new programs.
- Proactively track and experiment with new technologies and software frameworks to improve our products.
- 5+ years of experience in firmware development and software engineering for electronics products.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- A background in driving the firmware development of novel products from end to end.
- Familiarity with UEFI or embedded controller firmware development on recent x86 platforms.
- Expertise at embedded firmware development in C and scripting in Python or similar languages.
- Experience with protocols like SPI and i2c.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with other engineers and program managers.
- Strong written and verbal English communication abilities and familiarity with working across time-zones.
- A passion for environmentalism, DIY, and/or open source software.
- Expertise with software and firmware development in a startup environment.
- Previous experience with coreboot, Tianocore, Zephyr, or other open source firmware or RTOS platforms.
- Familiarity with system level software and drivers on Windows and/or Linux.
- Experience developing utilities for automation, debugging, and diagnostics.
- A strong understanding of adjacent functional areas like electrical engineering.
- Experience working as a remote member of an international team.