Technical Program Manager
At Framework, we believe the time has come for products that are designed to last. Founded in San Francisco in 2019, our mission is to remake Consumer Electronics to respect people and the planet.
Our first product is the Framework Laptop, a thin, light, high-performance notebook that can be upgraded, customized, and repaired in ways that no other notebook can. Alongside this, we've launched the Framework Marketplace to enable an ecosystem of parts and modules. We've seen a fantastic reception to our first product from customers and reviewers from outlets like Linus Tech Tips, Ars Technica, and Wirecutter, along with landing on the cover of TIME's Best Inventions of 2021. As a company, we made #35 on Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies of 2022.
We come from successful consumer electronics startups including the founding team of Oculus, and we recently closed an $18M Series A fundraising round to fuel our roadmap. We care deeply about building a diverse and inclusive team, and we hope you do too!
We are looking for a Hardware Technical Program Manager to join our growing New Product Initiative (NPI) team. The role of this position will focus on development and management of a vibrant and unique ecosystem of modular upgrades and functionality enhancements to the Framework ecosystem.
We are specifically looking for an experienced TPM who can drive execution on our roadmap - you will own initial planning, scoping, testing and validation with our NPI team all the way through to complete the new product introduction (NPI) and launch with our ODM/manufacturing partners.
You will be a key member of the Framework NPI TPM team - this means that you have a large scope and full ownership of products at a growing company for the ecosystem of products surrounding the Framework roadmap. The role includes interfacing with all cross-functional partners such as firmware, engineering, supply chain/ops, logistics and marketplace.
Framework is a remote first company and this position is aimed at US Pacific Time or Taiwan based TPMs (our manufacturing partners are located in UTC+8).
- Owns the execution of products and modules at Framework
- Identifies and mitigates risks; works to break through any program and collaboration roadblocks
- Own Framework’s product certifications and internal BOM documentation for hardware ecosystem
- Ensuring NPI teams have an unbiased and comprehensive picture of all progress and risks. Also drives execution with external partners to deliver on program objectives
- Leads with empathy, integrity and compassion for all champions the hardware and software roadmap, and can say what is needed, even if it is hard
- Continuously looks for opportunities to improve and is able to coach teams/people with openness/transparency to help others ‘level up’ whenever possible - proactively identifies and creates initiatives to drive improvement at scale
- 5+ years experience managing complex consumer electronics hardware and/or software programs
- Experience working with JDM/ODM/OEM partners to drive program objectives
- Experience defining and program managing the development, test and release process for new hardware designs, firmware, BIOS and drivers
- Experience setting up hardware BOM structure and data management
- Experience ensuring product regulatory requirements are implemented
- High emotional quotient (EQ) to build a team and promote healthy and highly effective team culture at Framework
- Excellent and proactive communication abilities and are able to map high level business/product goals to specific execution plans
- Experience working with highly cross-functional teams in a fast moving and sometimes ambiguous startup environment - proactively identifies new areas of opportunity for improvement and growth
- Written and verbal fluency in English
- An electrical and mechanical engineering background
- Creator, DIY enthusiast, and wants to reduce waste and supports environmental activism
- Experience with championing software/hardware security and user privacy when building new products
- Experience in global product roll out and launching new products
What we offer
- A remote first company
- Work at a startup that is making a positive social impact
- Competitive salary, equity and health benefits
- Flexible work hours
- Every other Monday off (9/80 schedule)
- Be an early member of Framework's team and get to shape the technological direction of our products
- Work with a world class team of hardware and software engineers