At Framework, our mission is to fix consumer electronics. We believe products can be better both for users and the environment. Unlike most electronics products on the market today, ours are designed to be repairable and upgradeable to enable long usage lifetimes and deep personalization.
Our team comes from successful consumer electronics startups including the founding team of Oculus and e-commerce companies, and we’re funded to fulfill our mission.
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer based in Taiwan to own key parts of the design and engineering of our consumer electronics products. Because of the physical modularity of our products, the mechanical design work required is a unique challenge that is extremely important for fulfilling the company mission. As our first engineer in Taiwan, you'll also have a high level of influence on our product development going forward.
This is a full time position working remotely in Taiwan, and will require local and international travel to suppliers and our Burlingame, CA headquarters.
- Own the mechanical design from initial ideation through prototyping, NPI, documentation, and into production on key parts of our products.
- Design parts and assemblies across 3D CAD and 2D drawings.
- Work with our designers and engineers in both Taiwan and the US on cross-functional product development on novel products.
- Partner with our Industrial Designers to develop, mock up, and test prototypes to explore new product concepts and solve design challenges as they come up.
- Drive Framework’s mission as an engineering lead on the ground with JDM partners, and ensure we are leveraging their mechanical teams’ development experience and expertise to the fullest.
- Manage DFM, NPI builds, and DOEs with our manufacturing partners.
- Work closely with our supply chain and quality team members on evaluating, bringing up, and managing mechanical part suppliers across tooling, plastics, and metals.
- Proactively track and experiment with new technologies, processes, and suppliers to improve our products.
- 5+ years of experience in mechanical engineering for electronics products.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- A background in driving the mechanical development of a product from end to end.
- A strong skillset in mechanical design in CAD, including tolerance analysis, FEA, and other simulation.
- Experience with plastic injection molding, metal injection molding, die casting, forming, extrusion, high volume CNC, and other mass production processes.
- Expertise designing parts, assemblies, and enclosures in plastics and metals, and bringing up tooling, managing final assembly, and running reliability testing around them.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with other engineers and program managers.
- Strong written and verbal English communication abilities and familiarity with working across time-zones.
- A passion for environmentalism and/or DIY.
- Expertise with mechanical engineering and product design in a startup.
- Familiarity with designing and integrating electromechanical assemblies like displays, batteries, cables, and input modules.
- Experience working as a remote member of an international team.
What we offer
- Competitive salary, equity, and health benefits.
- Flexible work hours and locations.
- Be an early member of Framework's team and get to shape the strategic direction of our operations.
- The chance to work at a startup that is fixing the consumer electronics industry.