Product Design Engineer
Burlingame, CA or Remote /
At Framework, our mission is to fix consumer electronics. We believe products can be better both for users and the environment. Unlike most electronics products on the market today, ours are designed to be repairable and upgradeable to enable long usage lifetimes and deep personalization.
Our team comes from successful consumer electronics startups including the founding team of Oculus and e-commerce companies, and we’re funded to fulfill our mission.
We are looking for a Product Design Engineer to own the mechanical design and architecture of our products. Because of the physical modularity of our products, the mechanical design work required is a unique challenge that is extremely important for fulfilling the company mission. You’ll need to invent the solutions for delivering upgradeability, repairability, reliability, and great product form factors simultaneously. As our first product design engineer, you'll also have a high level of influence on our product roadmaps and design philosophy going forward.
We’re headquartered in Burlingame, CA, and are open to local, relocated, or remote candidates.
- Own the mechanical design and architecture from initial ideation through prototyping, NPI, documentation, and into production on our products.
- Design parts and assemblies across 3D CAD and 2D drawings.
- Work with our designers and engineers in both the US and Taiwan on cross-functional product development on novel products.
- Collaborate with our Industrial Designers and Electrical Engineers to develop, mock up, and test prototypes to explore new product concepts and solve design challenges as they come up.
- Own the relationship with JDM mechanical engineering teams to ensure we are leveraging their development experience and expertise to the fullest
- Work closely with our supply chain and quality team members on evaluating, bringing up, and managing mechanical part suppliers across tooling, plastics, and metals.
- Proactively track and experiment with new technologies, processes, and suppliers to improve our products.
- 5+ years of experience in mechanical engineering for electronics products.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
- A background in driving the mechanical development of novel products from end to end.
- A strong skillset in mechanical design in CAD, including tolerance analysis, FEA, and other simulation.
- Experience with plastic injection molding, metal injection molding, die casting, forming, extrusion, high volume CNC, and other mass production processes.
- Expertise designing parts, assemblies, and enclosures in plastics and metals, and bringing up tooling, managing final assembly, and running reliability testing around them.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with other engineers and program managers.
- A passion for environmentalism and/or DIY.
- Expertise with mechanical engineering and product design in a startup.
- A strong understanding of adjacent functional areas like electrical engineering and optical engineering.
- Familiarity with designing and integrating electromechanical assemblies like displays, batteries, cables, and input modules.
What we offer
- Competitive salary, equity, and health benefits.
- Flexible work hours and locations.
- Be an early member of Framework's team and get to shape our product roadmap.
- The chance to work at a startup that is fixing the consumer electronics industry.