Senior Backend Engineer
Paris, France /
Email is the universal communication tool for work. It’s where you discuss work, answer questions, and talk to all of your customers, vendors, and partners. But email wasn’t designed for business and hasn’t evolved with the way you work with a team. So you’re dropping the ball, missing important context, and relying on dozens of siloed apps just to get the job done.
With more than 6,000 customers Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. We’ve created one place where you communicate internally and externally, gain context about customers and projects, and access all your other tools so you can be more efficient, more fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work.
With $138M in funding, Front is backed by Sequoia Capital, and other leading venture capital firms, as well as independent investors including top executives of Atlassian, Okta, Qualtrics, and Zoom. Front was recently named to the Forbes Cloud 100 2020, the definitive list of the top software companies in the world. We have also been recognized on LinkedIn’s 2020 Top Startups, Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2019, The New York Times’ The Next Wave of ‘Unicorn’ Start-Ups, Fortune’s Best Small Workplaces, and Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
We are looking for experienced backend engineers to join the team responsible for the core systems that power Front - a rules engine service that evaluates thousands of rules in milliseconds, a real-time inbox counter service that is fast and precise, and more. As you can imagine, this means a lot of responsibility and a tremendous amount of impact. The systems that you will work on need to be performant, scalable and reliable, all at once.
What will you be doing?
- Own key features or sub-systems of Front
- Collaborate closely with product managers, product designers and other engineers to conceptualize, build and test new product features: frontapp.com/roadmap
- Troubleshoot and resolve bugs and issues across the stack, e.g. a stuck job in a message queue, a bug in our recipient suggestions service
What skills and experience do you need?
- Product mindset – we’re a product company on a mission to"advance how people work”
- 5+ years of industry experience working on backend systems at a large-scale internet service
- 2+ years of working on software systems built atop Amazon Web Services
- Strong track record of launching and delivering projects of significant complexity and high level of ambiguity
- Experience architecting, deploying and operating asynchronous work queues, high-volume storage systems, and high-throughput systems
- Understand the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Full professional English proficiency
- Experience working with a multi-data center setup
- Extensive experience in node.js, MySQL and memcached on AWS
Front provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.