Head of Legal
San Francisco, CA
Email is the universal communication tool for work. It’s where you discuss work, answer questions, and talk to all of your customers, vendors, and partners. But email wasn’t made for business and hasn’t evolved to help you work with a team. So you’re dropping the ball, missing important context, and relying on many siloed apps that make you less productive as a whole.
With more than 5,000 customers and $79 million in funding from Sequoia, Threshold (formerly DFJ), and others, Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. We’ve created one place where you communicate internally and externally, gain context about customers and projects, and access all your other tools so you can be more efficient, more fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work.
Front was featured in Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups 2019, The New York Times’ The Next Wave of‘Unicorn’ Start-Ups, Zapier’s Apps at Work Report: The Fastest Growing Apps of 2019, the Bay Area’s Great Places to Work, and of course Glassdoor.
You will be the first legal hire in a rapidly-growing, enterprise SaaS company in San Francisco. Reporting to the CFO, your responsibilities will include ownership of all aspects of Front’s negotiations with customers and vendors, instituting compliance policies while maintaining the entrepreneurial culture of the company, oversight of legal operations, and working on all aspects of Intellectual Property, Privacy, employment, and corporate issues.
We are looking for a practical attorney who is interested in learning about our technology, can enable our go-to-market strategy, and will establish her or himself as a trusted business partner to every executive as well as a company-wide thought leader.
What will you be doing?
- Work with Front’s Sales team to negotiate strategic customer contracts, close deals in the most efficient manner, and educate sales representatives to effectively sell Front’s legal terms
- Define Front’s legal strategy and build our core legal processes
- Provide counsel and advise on legal liabilities associated with many areas of the business (i.e. employment law, commissions agreements, real estate leases, international expansion, system tooling, company policies, corporate finance, partnerships, etc.)
- Oversee the building of legal operations to effectively serve contract needs, prioritize tasks, and integrate with other company-wide systems
- Formulate an Intellectual Property strategy for Front through deep knowledge of our business, product portfolio, innovations, and competitive landscape
- Evaluate risk factors impacting business decisions and anticipate unique legal issues that could impact the company
- Stay abreast of changes in laws and regulations impacting the business and communicate to appropriate parties any changes to controls, policies and procedures
- Address other ad-hoc or specialized legal issues
What skills and experience do you need?
- Practicing attorney with 6-10+ years of experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department. In-house counsel experience preferred, especially in tech.
- Broad direct experience with a variety of legal matters, including strategic business agreements, commercial contract negotiation, information security and compliance, privacy, corporate governance, intellectual property rights, international expansion
- Ability to listen and work in concert with counter-parties to find mutually agreeable solutions in negotiations
- Comfort with business metrics and ability to break down complex legal problems into business and legal risks; ability to explain legal issues to business and technology focused partners
- Willingness to roll up his/her sleeves and take on tasks both big and small. A collaborative approach with low ego in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Strategic sense to build a team, but tactical enough to execute on a day-to-day basis
- Strong sense of ownership, desire to make a cross-functional impact, eagerness to learn, customer orientation
- A JD from a top accredited law school, and a membership in good standing with the California Bar
Front provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.