Sr. Backend Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Email is the universal communication tool for work. It’s where you discuss work, answer questions, and talk to all of your customers, vendors, and partners. But email wasn’t made for business and hasn’t evolved with the way you work with a team. So you’re dropping the ball, missing important context, and relying on many siloed apps that make you less productive as a whole.
With more than 4,500 customers and $79 million in funding from Sequoia, DFJ and others, Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. We’ve created one place where you communicate internally and externally, gain context about customers and projects, and access all your other tools so you can be more efficient, more fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work.
We're looking for an experienced backend engineer based in San Francisco to help build, manage, and scale the Front platform.
What will you be doing?
- Design, develop, test and implement new product features: frontapp.com/roadmap
- Tune and optimize performance of the app, e.g. identify and fix a slow-running MySQL query, reduce server response times
- Build tools to monitor and manage a 200-node-and-growing infrastructure
- Troubleshoot and resolve bugs and issues, e.g. a stuck job in a message queue
What skills and experience do you need?
- 5+ years of industry experience working on backend systems at a large-scale internet service
- 2+ years of working on software systems build atop Amazon Web Services
- Track record of designing and implementing complex and scalable software services
- Experience architecting, deploying and operating asynchronous work queues, high-volume storage systems, and high-throughput systems
- Experience with performance benchmarking and diagnostic tools
- Understand the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment