Head of Design
San Francisco, CA
Email is the universal communication tool for work. It’s where you discuss work, answer questions, and talk to all of your customers, vendors, and partners. But email wasn’t made for business and hasn’t evolved to help you work with a team. So you’re dropping the ball, missing important context, and relying on many siloed apps that make you less productive as a whole.
With more than 5,000 customers and $79 million in funding from Sequoia, DFJ and others, Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. We’ve created one place where you communicate internally and externally, gain context about customers and projects, and access all your other tools so you can be more efficient, more fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work.
We’re looking for an experienced Design leader to mentor and guide our product and brand design teams. As Head of Design, you will be responsible for the growth and development of the design team as well as the execution of both the Front product experience and brand. You’ll partner closely with product, engineering, and marketing leaders to ensure a customer-centered approach, efficient processes, and world-class outcomes. The ideal candidate for this role will thrive in a startup environment and has a passion for well-crafted experiences and high-functioning teams.
What will you be doing?
- Create and design a product that allows our customers to work happier because of the impact, ease of use, delightfulness, and beauty of our product
- Continue to build our world-class design team at Front in both our SF and Paris offices
- Mentor the design team; provide meaningful critique, advice, and guidance to peers to create the best possible designs
- Own and develop the design toolkit and workflow including design language, tooling and processes.
- Maintain and deepen our culture within Front for user-centered design principles, both within product and also the broader organization. Create an environment where creativity flourishes
- Ensure UX, UI, and brand design consistency throughout Front’s products, systems and marketing campaigns
- Execute on brand and marketing design needs by collaborating with marketing team, and managing designers and outside contractors/agencies as needed
- Represent the design viewpoint at a leadership level within front; partner closely with product and engineering to ship useful and beautiful products
What skills and experience do you need?
- 10+ years of experience with end-to-end product design; with a significant portion in a leadership role
- Experience leading the entire design process for multiple large products across product design and go-to-market
- Obsessed with how to make employees more productive and happier at work; uses and can talk extensively about best designed products currently in the market
- Willingness to jump in and be hands-on with design
- User-centric: has extensive experience working in consumer applications and understands how to make user research a critical part of product design
- Data-driven; you understand how to use data to guide product decisions
- Experience and comfort working across platforms. Eagerness to learn what’s current and what’s next in technology and to design in those spaces
- Experience designing for more than just the North American market. Bonus if you’ve worked or led design teams in other geographies
Front provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.