Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory Production Manager
Front Range Biosciences is a value-driven agricultural biotech company with the mission to improve society by applying science to high-value crops. Our goal is to become a trusted global leader in agricultural technology, coffee, and hemp products using our innovative Clean Stock nurseries, quality breeding programs, and contemporary seed testing and production.
The Tissue Culture Laboratory Production Manager will be responsible for executing methodologies for plant tissue culture to achieve production goals. The position requires a hands-on approach. The laboratory manager will be responsible for managing all lab techs and supervisors, maintain accurate inventories, execute production plan and support clean stock. The successful candidate will be a key member of a fast-paced and collaborative start-up agricultural sciences company.
- Continue to improve methodologies for coffee somatic embryogenesis, bioreactors, micropropagation and germplasm cleaning.
- Scale up the production of somatic embryogenesis from protocols already established in the lab.
- Set up a new tissue culture lab for micropropagation.
- Support the greenhouse manager in plant acclimatization.
- Maintain detailed and organized records of project data and other materials as needed.
- Conduct and evaluate plant tissue culture daily activities for the employees.
- Guide, train and implement laboratory protocols.
- Responsible for establishing and following safety protocols.
- Responsible for setting goals and conducting performance evaluations for employees.
- Write and update Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have excellent organizational, communication and problem-solving skills.
- Great attitude.
- Excellent managerial skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Prior experience with sterile technique, initiations, and new crop build-ups.
- Familiar with electronic inventory management.
- Tenacity and independent decision-making ability to make the proper decisions that will result in the achievement of company goals.
- Creativity, innovation, drive and enthusiasm.
- Exceptional computer skills. Able to manage and maintain several computer databases as well as MS Word and Excel.
- Spanish a plus.
- Location: Gilroy, CA. Must be on-site.
- Must be authorized to work in the USA.
- Degree in plant science or related area with at least 10 years of previous experience in a fast-paced commercial plant tissue culture lab in supervisory positions.