Lead Technical Environment Artist
Who we are
An ambitious team turning big dreams into reality
The $100 billion gaming industry is on the verge of revolution. For decades, gamers have suffered under the pretense of ownership: purchasing digital assets to which they hold but negligible rights. Now, with the advent of blockchain technology, comes the opportunity to empower gamers with true ownership. At Fuel, our mission is to lead this revolution and transform the space as social and mobile platforms did years ago.
With a small but exceptional team of artists, designers and engineers we are building Gods Unchained: a AAA trading card game where players have complete control over their assets. As we approach launch, we need the help of other talented professionals to help bring our game to the world.
That's where you come in...
We are looking for a technical environment artist to lead the Game Art team in their creation and implementation of great looking and highly performant environment and game art for Gods Unchained.
Passion for creative technical problem solving
Love 3D modelling, sculpting and texturing? Obsessed with particles and shaders? Are you always thinking of ways to alter meshes, textures or art assets to improve performance? Fantastic - the Gods themselves need your expertise.
Help us create a player-first future
With Gods Unchained we're on a mission to change the way gamers think about in-game property rights. We believe if you earn or pay for an item in a video game, you should own it, and be free to sell or trade it on a whim. You will be contributing directly to this mission by creating AAA quality assets players are proud to own.
Develop leadership and communication skills
Whilst you will be responsible for completing the most challenging artistic production tasks, the day to day part of this role is the amplification, enhancement and management of the Game Art team to help them create the most amazing artwork possible.
Day to day you will
- Report to Art Director and VP Product
- Manage and develop the 3D Team
- Integrate assets and environments into tech systems
- Collaborate with Engineering and UX/UI departments
- Manage external contractors as needed
- Own and iterate on the process of asset development for Gods Unchained
- Create complex and difficult artistic assets, finding clever solutions to difficult art problems
In the first 90 days you will
- Take ownership over and iterate on the 3D team's pipeline and workflows
- Deliver 6 high quality stylised environment art pieces with the help of the 3D team
- Deliver a wealth of customise-able cosmetic items and trinkets for Gods Unchained
- Build a pipeline and scene for producing thumbnail renders for the variety of cosmetic items in Gods Unchained
You already have
- A solid understanding of source control
- Expert skills in Zbrush, Substance Painter and Substance Designer
- Expert skills in at least one modelling package (3DS Max, Maya, Blender or Modo)
- Extensive Unity experience (although Unreal Engine 4 experience is fine, both would be preferred)
- In depth knowledge of material graphs and particle systems
- In depth knowledge of real-time lighting and performance
- Whilst it isn't required, you probably have 5+ years experience as a Game Artist or similiar
- You have probably shipped or worked on multiple real-time projects or games
No remote working: Whilst we want to support remote working in the medium-term, we are only hiring for onsite roles to promote collaboration and grow our culture.
Who you are
Satisfied with the status-quo? Pass. Want somebody telling you what to do? Look elsewhere. Curious and driven? Let’s talk.
Our vision is reflected in a set of common values. If these values reflect both you and the people you want to work with, you will thrive at Fuel Games.
Willing to learn
You learn rapidly and eagerly
You have a growth mindset; you believe you can improve your intelligence, ability and performance
You admit mistakes freely and absorb feedback
You are continually seeking ways to improve and understand the power of compounding
You are a scientist; using data and experiments to learn more about the world
You are not afraid to ask for help
You can identify when to course correct through self-examination
You say what you think and suggest alternatives, even if it is uncomfortable
You listen with an open mind and judge based on reasons, not bias
You have “strong views, loosely held”
You seek alternative perspectives
You challenge the status quo and prevailing assumptions
You can think from first-principles
You have intense self-belief and are willing to back yourself
You strive for excellence
You find joy and satisfaction in doing your best
You believe that hard work is a necessary ingredient to success
You are ruthlessly output focused
You take ownership and pride in what you deliver
You are a definite optimist
You seek what is best for the team, not your ego
You share your experience and knowledge with the team
You help others achieve their best
You collaborate effectively
You can contribute outside of your speciality
You communicate clearly and concisely
You are inclusive and thoughtful when interacting with others
You invest in improving our processes, values and culture
Things we don't consider important in your application
A prior interest in gaming or blockchain: so long as you’re curious to learn what the fuss is about
Your background, age, ethnicity, gender or sexuality: we see the value in a wide breadth of personal experiences, and understand that a diverse team makes better games and a more fulfilling place to work.
What it's like to work here
A fast-paced, intellectually stimulating environment where you will do things you never thought possible
Our passion for decentralisation goes beyond the blockchain - it is a necessary part of our work culture. If you are used to top-down control it can take some getting used to, but you will soon realise the only thing holding you back is yourself.
How we work
Collaborative quarterly goal setting: see how you work ties into the company's goals and help define what success looks like
Sponsored learning: if you want to learn from the best educator in your field, we’ll find a way to make it happen. People in our team have had masterclasses from NYT bestsellers, Lead Designers of the largest games in the world, and more.
Regular feedback: at the team and individual level. How can you improve without feedback?
Small, agile scrum teams: running on 1 to 2 week cycles
Transparency around strategy: with a clear process for raising ideas and issues: Everyone’s thoughts and opinions are valued, and anyone, from intern to executive, can tell us how to do things better
As a small startup we can offer you a unique benefit: growth. You will be joining on the ground floor which means you can grow with us - leadership positions, roles many levels above your current experience and the opportunity to make a significant contribution. It's yours for the taking.
We know your best work is done when you can trust your colleagues and have fun at work. We do this by:
- Hosting weekly social events
- Providing coffee and snacks to all on-site employees
- Decorating the office with artwork from our awesome AAA fantasy game
- Supporting flexible working
We are still in the early days of forming our company culture. We want YOU to bring fresh ideas and help us make Fuel Games a fantastic place to work.