Data Analyst Internship (Otter Media) - Summer 2019
Playa Vista, CA
Shared Services – University Relations
Otter Media’s Data & Analytics team is looking for a Data Analyst / Engineer Intern Intern (Summer 2019) who will be responsible for leading advanced analysis as well as supporting ad hoc projects. Our team is responsible for driving growth across Otter’s fan-centric digital media businesses through sophisticated analysis and insight development. This role would be a critical addition to our team in accelerating our ability to make data useful for business areas ranging from Subscription Video on Demand (SVOD), Advertising Video on Demand (AVOD), eCommerce, social channel growth (e.g., YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, etc), and live events attended by fans.
- Own, design and carry out one or two advanced statistical projects according to business needs, such as using machine learning methods to analyze and forecast churn rate, customer lifetime value, etc.
- Retrieve, compile, and analyze large volumes of data from disparate databases into distilled, actionable information and insights
- Support data engineers to develop, construct, maintain, and test relational database, as well as create data sets and schemas according to analytical projects needs
- Extract large amounts of data from source systems, transform, and load data into data warehouse
- Develop and create visualizations and dashboards with reporting and analytical tools such as Tableau and PowerPoint to efficiently reflect the key takeaways
- Develop new insights from studies and analysis that inform decisions and drive the collective business forward
- Gain a solid understanding of the business focus and be able to step in and support varied ad hoc projects when needed
- Effectively present and communicate data and analysis results to teammates and audience
- 2+ years of work experience in data analysis, BI or data science (including internships and academic research), bonus if with an e-commerce or entertainment / digital media company
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills with the ability to interpret and summarize complex data to drive actionable plans that add value to the business
- Sufficient skills and experience building statistical models and analyzing data with R or Python or Matlab, etc.
- Experience in SQL, Scala, Java, Python (Python ideally), or shell (bash, awk/sed) code to process and ETL large data sets
- Familiarity and experience with Unix command line
- Bonus point for ability to handle Unix processes (such as monitoring and managing them) and use Unix built-in tools to process large data sets
- Bonus points for ability to write code that can process large data sets without bloated time and memory requirements, e.g. with concurrent Python threads or other useful methods
- Extra bonus points for experience with AWS, Hadoop, Spark, Glue, Airflow, Athena, Redshift, Databricks, EMR
- Ability to work independently, be self-motivated and results-oriented but still be an excellent team player
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial, high-energy environment that requires the ability to multi-task and implement high priority initiatives
Perks and Benefits
- Internship is paid
- Flexible dress code
- Kitchen stocked with snacks
- Catered meal on Fridays
- Pet friendly Fridays
ABOUT OTTER MEDIA :
Otter Media is a digital media company focused on engaging, entertaining, and super serving fans globally. The company, formed by AT&T and The Chernin Group in 2014, is investing in, growing and operating companies involved in digital marketing, social media, video services, content development, production and distribution, and building the next best consumer brands. With more than $500 million in funding committed to the venture upon creation, Otter Media is well-positioned to take advantage of the rapid growth of online video and other compelling direct-to-consumer digital media experiences.
Otter Media’s portfolio includes:
Fullscreen Media, a leader in social-first entertainment experiences serving creators, brands and consumers;
Rooster Teeth, a media and entertainment company serving the video games community with a footprint of more than 35 million subscribers to its YouTube network, 5 million monthly visitors to RoosterTeeth.com, and 2 million registered community members;
Ellation, a media and entertainment company and home of industry-leading platforms Crunchyroll, the world’s largest destination for anime and manga, boasting a global community of more than 25 million registered users and over 1 million subscribers and VRV, a fast-growing entrant in the SVOD space and audience-focused aggregation platform;
A majority stake in Gunpowder & Sky, a digital-first studio creating and distributing innovative, edgy and narrative-driven content independent of form, genre or platform; and
A minority stake in Hello Sunshine, a cross-platform brand and content company for women founded with Reese Witherspoon.
Otter Media is an equal opportunity employer. This means we are committed to recruiting, training, compensating and promoting our employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender or any other protected classes as required by applicable law that might make us unique or different. As a media company, we are dedicated to reflecting the diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion found in our viewers, creators, and partners. Inclusion is at the heart of what we do, from the way we craft our job descriptions, to the values we espouse daily.