Senior Manager, Finance
New York, New York /
The Future Now umbrella includes The States Project (TSP) and The Lawmaker Network (TLN). Its initiatives focus on improving Americans’ lives by winning state legislative majorities and working with them to achieve goals for the common good.
Future Now offers a fast-paced environment focused on using the best available tools and resources to build state legislative power to improve Americans’ lives. We encourage you to find out more about the organizations’ values here.
Future Now seeks a Sr. Manager of Finance to play a critical role in ensuring that internal trains are running on schedule and at peak performance.
The Senior Manager of Finance plays a critical role in providing oversight to all accounting and finance operations working collaboratively with executive leadership in support of efficiency, accuracy, and financial growth. The Senior Manager of Finance reports to the Chief Finance and Administrative Officer for all finance and operational related responsibilities. A key function of this role is to help ensure the continued improvement of the organizations’ financial processes and reporting as well as providing financial monitoring and accounting activities to support Future Now’s initiatives in achievement of their strategic goals.
We value diversity at Future Now. Women, people of color, trans/genderqueer people, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are especially encouraged to apply.
- Preparing and supporting financial forecasting, budgeting, and reporting processes, including data entry and preparation for internal meetings (e.g. strategic planning, team retreats and board meetings), including monthly budget to actuals reports and annual final reports
- Developing and utilizing forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the operations and business plans.
- Working with CFAO to design and implement finance-related risk management which includes maintaining internal controls that mitigate risk, conserve assets, reduce unnecessary expenses and maintain the integrity of the financial systems, controls and policies.
- Coordinating finance and compliance firm calls and ensuring that objectives are met
- Directing check and other deposits to the correct account in coordination with our compliance firm, and providing reports to internal teams on status of contribution receipts and expenditures
- Creating and maintaining cash flow and financial models on a regular basis
- Working with the Development team to build budgets and reporting as appropriate for donor, grantor requests and information including completing finance-related applications for grants.
- Collaborating with Legal team and compliance firm to ensure that 100% of campaign finance reports are accurate, approved, and submitted on time
- Supporting financial aspects of compliance tracking and reporting
- Collaborating with appropriate staff to provide tracking, analysis, and reporting of receipts and expenditures as required by various teams
- Assuring the finance team delivers accurate and on-time monthly and quarterly financial reports
- Processing payroll runs; overseeing accurate federal and state tax set up and filings including W-2 and other tax form preparation and filing
- Assisting with annual audit and 990 preparation
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Accounting, Finance or a related field
- A minimum of 5 years of senior professional experience in budget management, accounting and financial analysis – preferably in a non profit organization. Familiarity with financial reporting with various organizational structures (ie 501(c)(3), PAC, 501(c)(4), etc.) is a plus.
- Proven track record of fiscal management, asset leveraging, strategic planning, budgeting, computerized accounting system, financial reporting and analysis, investment and cash management.
- Exceptional analytical ability and aptitude for extreme accuracy
- Superior spreadsheet skills, especially with complex formulas, lookup tables, and pivot tables
- Experience with QuickBooks and other financial software
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with large volumes of data
- Be a dynamic and open-minded individual who is customer-focused and solutions-driven
- Have the ability to work quickly with a high degree of accuracy; Motivated by a fast-paced environment
- Highly organized with a no job too small mindset
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to distinguish important from urgent in highly complex and fast-moving environments
- Ability to quickly build trust, credibility, and goodwill
- Capable of independently managing time and tasks associated with a fast-paced organization
The position offers a competitive benefits package, including 75% paid coverage of medical, dental, and vision for individuals and families, unlimited PTO, 401(k) matching, an annual professional development stipend, and paid family leave. The salary for this position is $90,000 - 110,000 per year.
This is a full-time, exempt position. The team currently operates remotely, with occasional in-person team retreats, etc.
What You Can Expect During the Recruitment and Hiring Process
All applicants will submit a resume, and answer a series of questions. Selected applicants will be moved forward to pre-screening. The next step is a performance task, followed by one to two interviews with leadership.