Communications and Marketing Manager
New York, New York /
Communications and Marketing /
About the Orgs
Future Now Fund elects the next generation of America’s state leaders to achieve America’s Goals, a legislative blueprint for our nation’s renewal. Future Now Action helps state lawmakers achieve meaningful results through a policy library with model bills, a national network of peers and experts, cutting-edge state-level research, and personalized support. FNF/FNA offers a fast-paced environment focused on using the best available tools and resources to achieve our mission of building state legislative power to improve Americans’ lives. We encourage you to find out more about the organizations’ values here.
Future Now Fund and Future Now Action seek a Communications and Marketing Manager that will ensure that the strategy set by the Director of Communications and Marketing (DCM) is implemented thoughtfully and intentionally. Reporting to the DCM and working closely with all departments, the Manager will develop content and support cross-team communications strategy.
Our ideal candidate is creative, collaborative, and ready to roll up their sleeves and lead projects from start-to-finish. They bring digital strategy, content creation, press, and message development skills. The right person is a self-starter able to develop innovative ideas while also focusing on the details of managing multiple project deadlines and deliverables.
We value diversity at our organizations. Women, people of color, trans/genderqueer, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are especially encouraged to apply.
This position will work closely with all staff to implement the organizations’ communications strategy. These responsibilities include:
- Participate in overall organizational and department strategic planning processes
- Maintain a pulse of what is happening in state governments, regionally, and nationally, and use this information to inform the communications strategy
- Manage and monitor the organizations’ online platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and the website, in collaboration with the DCM
- Track and report important and useful analytics and help to integrate findings into the organization’s strategy
- Oversee the process of building the organizations’ annual report
- Work with DCM to ensure organizational brand is consistent across all platforms
- Manage communications for events
Media and Press Relations
- Build and maintain the organizations’ pitch lists
- Oversee content creation for media activities, including press conferences, in-person or electronic briefings, press release announcements, and other organizational media events
- Direct response to media inquiries, as assigned by the DCM
Programmatic Communications and Marketing
- Work with DCM to coordinate rapid response communication strategies during major cultural moments on key issue areas or political events
- Facilitate weekly content meetings and oversee editorial calendar
- Work with the organizations’ design partner to keep collateral up to datePartner with program directors to identify and understand impact, while ensuring that communications center around organizational impact
- Supervise communications and marketing volunteers and interns
- Understand new developments in digital strategy and platforms
- With the DCM, set targets for audience engagement across social platforms and oversee the testing and development of strategies to meet targets
- Work with DCM to develop campaigns to increase visibility and to understand the impact of digital content and social media for audiences (reach, engagement, reaction data)
- Draft and adapt online content such as emails to a variety of FNF & FNA audiences, social posts, and website pages Work closely with DCM and Development to generate content for supporters, prospective supporters, ambassadors, and potential ambassadors
- Oversee execution of content strategies for the media and the public
- Participate in strategic partnerships to distribute content
- Participate in the creation of in-house/contracted productions and thought leadership pieces, written by the ED, Research, or program teams, ensuring placement in relevant publications
- Develop organizational materials like one-pagers, postcards, merchandise, etc.
Internal Capacity Building
- Train teams on communications-related activities and identify potential communications and marketing opportunities in ways that align with and reflect our values, vision, and mission
- Oversee communications and marketing budgets, tracking expenses and work with DCM to respond to changes while meeting department benchmarks and deliverables
- Passion for the mission
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Self-starter with a drive to make things happen: proven track record of program management excellence and high standards for success
- Motivated by a fast-paced environment
- Excited to design and maintain systems to keep all trains on track
- Early adopter of new technology and platformsHighly collaborative approach
- No job too small mindset
- Relationship builder
- Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to distinguish important from urgent in highly complex and fast-moving environments
- Ability to quickly build trust, credibility, and goodwill
- Stellar project management experience
- Capable of independently managing time and tasks associated with a fast-paced organization
- Ability to articulately explain FN and FNF work and represent the organization to external audiences, especially the press
- Experience speaking with the media on or off the recordExisting rolodex of press and influencer contacts
- Experience with organizational social media and email programs, such as Hootsuite, Mailchimp, Constant Contact, and/or Meltwater
- Experience with graphic design programs such as Canva, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, or Illustrator
Future Now Fund/Future Now Action offer a competitive benefits package, including 75% paid coverage of medical, dental, and vision for individuals and families, unlimited PTO, 15 paid holidays in 2020, 401(k), a small annual professional development stipend, and paid family leave. The salary for this position is $75,000-$85,000 per year.
This is a full-time exempt position based in Brooklyn, NY. Our office is currently closed for daily commuting due to COVID-19 through June 1 2021; we will provide four weeks notice in the event of an office reopening. Some travel will be required. Additional evening and weekend hours are occasionally required to fulfill the duties of this position. Relocation is not available for this role.