Chief Operating Officer (Remote)
New York, New York /
The Future Now umbrella includes The States Project (TSP) and The Lawmaker Network (TLN). Its initiatives focus on improving Americans’ lives by winning state legislative majorities and working with them to achieve goals for the common good.
Future Now offers a fast-paced environment focused on using the best available tools and
resources to build state legislative power to improve Americans’ lives. We encourage you to
find out more about the organizations’ values here.
Future Now Action and the PAC for America’s Future (“Future Now”) are seeking a COO to be a strategic leader across our organizations and apply that strategic leadership to conceiving, building, and implementing core pillars of our work. The COO will strengthen and lead People & Culture, as well as oversee teams implementing best practices for financial management and administration at these fast growing, dynamic, and mission-driven organizations. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position will be at the center of building sustainable, impact-oriented, and innovative organizations -- including recruitment, hiring, employee engagement and retention, professional development, culture-building and increasing employee diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging (DEIB), budget management, and improving the processes and systems on which the organizations are built. The COO will design and manage the teams supporting our People and Culture, Finance, and Operations functions and be a part of the organizations’ leadership teams. The organizations are seeking an individual who is knowledgeable and experienced in human resources and organizational culture, DEIB, complex systems management, and overall organizational leadership, as applied to a startup growing into a midsize organization and beyond.
We value diversity at our organizations. Women, people of color, trans/genderqueer people, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are especially encouraged to apply.
- People & Culture Leadership:
- Be the strategic leader on turning our organizational values into lived experience across the organizations, and ensuring this is an exceptional place to work for high-performing, values-aligned members of the team
- Grow a culture aligned with organizational values, through organization-wide culture initiatives; diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging initiatives, support, and assessment; and other strategies for increasing retention and engagement for teams and individuals
- Build, design, and oversee implementation and tracking of a staff performance management process, for managers and team leads to execute
- Systematize and oversee best practices for human resources administration, including recruiting/job posting, new employee onboarding, training, annual reviews, offboarding, and benefits, including, with Counsel, human resources policies (eg. PTO, handbook, etc.) and other HR compliance processes
- Monitor efficacy of different work modes (in-person, remote, retreats, travel) and lead on proposed changes or improvements for teams or organization-wide
- Improve organizational professional development, mentoring, and coaching in alignment with organizational areas of challenge and growth
- Finance & Compliance Oversight:
- Lead on the design and implementation of financial plans and budgets, overseeing business policies and accounting practices, including to generate final budget proposals for ED and Board approval, manage cash flow, and develop long-term expense projections
- Design a system to ensure team leads have the information they need in the annual budget planning process
- Ensure that the organizational accounting system provides quick access to financial information and enables strategic budgeting
- Lead financial reporting processes for Senior leadership, the Board, and other stakeholders (eg. donors)
- Oversee grants administration
- Build and improve process and oversee consultant billing and accounting on behalf of teams and organization-wide
- Provide strategic partnership across the organizations in the development of new business proposals and related budgets
- Administrative Management:
- Ensure appropriate and timely execution of audits, 990’s and other required reports, insurance policies, leases, compliance reports and contracts
- Oversee vendors related to organization administration and compliance, other than outside counsel
- Ensure the ongoing optimization, maintenance and updating of information systems, CRMs, and infrastructure
- Passion for and alignment with the organizations’ mission, vision, and theory of change
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
- A drive to make things happen: proven track record of operational excellence and managing diverse, highly-skilled staff; high standards for success; aggressive on process, impatient for progress, gentle with people; no job too small attitude
- Excellent judgment and a strong ability to communicate in written and verbal forms
- Proven ability to listen deeply to what people are saying, what they need, and to identify and resolve challenges before they are crises
- Ability to quickly build trust, credibility, and goodwill
- Strong people management, mentoring, or coaching background
- Ability to work with financial data
- Superior systems management capacity
- Experience with successful change management
- Capable of independently managing time and tasks associated with a fast-paced organization
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills with experience leading a team
- Ability to explain work and represent the organization to external audiences
- Experience in politics or public policy at a management level
- Experience with OKRs or similar tools
The position offers a competitive benefits package, including 75% paid coverage of medical, dental, and vision for individuals and families, unlimited PTO, 401(k) matching, an annual professional development stipend, and paid family leave. The salary for this position is a minimum of $206,000 per year.
This is a full-time, exempt position; remote candidates will be considered and are encouraged to apply. Some travel may be required once it is safe. Additional evening and weekend hours are occasionally required to fulfill the duties of this position.