Full-Time, Part-Time, Interns /
In the past couple of years, The Future of Life Institute has expanded rapidly, from only a small part-time team to a full-time staff of 20+ people. We have ambitions to continue growing our team, so we are always on the lookout for talented and proactive people who are aligned with our mission.
If you match this description then please consider filling out our ‘Rolling applications’ form below, so that we can contact you in the event that a relevant career opportunity arises. Your details will only be used for the purpose of alerting you about relevant career opportunities.
About the Future of Life Institute
FLI is an independent non-profit working to steer transformative technology towards benefiting life and away from extreme large-scale risks. Since 2014, our work has included grant-making, educational outreach, and policy engagement.
Our work has been featured in The Washington Post, Politico, Vox, Forbes, The Guardian, the BBC, and Wired.
Some of our communications achievements include:
- Pause Giant AI Experiments, an open letter calling for a 6 month pause on the training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4. The letter has been signed by more than twenty thousand people, including Yoshua Bengio, Stuart Russell, Elon Musk, Steve Wozniak, Yuval Noah Harari, and Andrew Yang.
- The Asilomar AI Principles, one of the earliest and most influential sets of AI governance principles. The Principles have been signed by nearly two thousand AI/Robotics researchers and nearly four thousand others.
- Slaughterbots, a viral video raising awareness about the dangers of lethal autonomous weapons.
- The Future of Life Award, which retrospectively awards unsung heroes who made the world a better place. Past winners include individuals who prevented nuclear wars, helped to eradicate smallpox, and solved the ozone crisis.
- Worldbuild.ai, which imagines flourishing futures with strong AI and works out how to get there.
FLI is a largely virtual organization, with a team of 20 distributed across Europe and the US. We have offices in Campbell, California and in Brussels, Belgium, and meet in person as a full team once a year.