Director of Operations
The company creates sector-specific accelerator programs in industries that can yield significant financial and social returns. Its flagship program is a 14-week accelerator program for entrepreneurs looking to transform education with technology.
ROLE DESCRIPTION: Director of Operations
LOCATION: London, UK
REPORTING LINE: CEO
Be part of an incredibly close team who are interested in their colleagues and enjoy spending time together. The DoO will be responsible for the following:
· Management of all day-to-day operations for the Emerge Education accelerator program. This will include:
• Planning and organization of the calendar of events during the accelerator program.
• Collecting feedback from our community of alumni entrepreneurs, investors and partners. Building this feedback into improvements to the design and delivery of the program.
• Developing and maintaining relationships with service providers to support startups in their day to day business needs - this can be anything from accounting firms, marketing tools, recruitment solutions & other freelancers.
• Hiring and managing interns/staff to support you with the above.
• Maintaining our community of supporters:
• Managing & maintaining the community database so that it is always up to date and easy to use
• Managing communications and relationships with Alumni. Ensuring the alumni are engaged and active members of the growing community.
• Working with the wider community of investors, mentors and innovation partners to deliver additional value by coming up with new events, delivering relevant alumni news and maintaining valuable relationships.
• Building and maintaining effective financial control over all operations, including managing the budget amendment/approval process as well as working with the accountants to present timely management reports to the Board and senior management team.
• Overseeing HR needs, processes and practices.
• Developing controls and guidelines for recruiting new hires. Supporting other team members in writing JDs and conducting interviews and assessments.
• Supporting the on-boarding of new staff.
• Standardize repeatable and predictable processes to improve quality.
• Identify efficiency improvements and introduce appropriate systems, processes and controls.
• To build operational capacity and plans around new business opportunities.
- PRIOR EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in event management is be required. This includes understanding of managing events to budgets, understanding of creating, delivering and communicating logistics plans.
- You will likely have worked in a role with a good deal of responsibility in a growing startup
- Experience in hiring and managing people will be required.
- You should have experience in developing budgets, as well as in presenting management reports to a senior team.
- TECHNICAL SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as experience and comfort communicating with new people, rallying groups and articulating business models. The use of accounting platforms such as Xero, Sage 50 and understanding the construct of financial management reports.
- LIKELY BACKGROUND, PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS & INTERESTS:
- We’re looking for a detail oriented person who trends towards being a completer/finisher.
- Likely had a number of practical roles in operations or experience within a startup, digital/content marketing, user acquisition, sales. This will enable you to work closely with the startups to support them in these areas and for Emerge to help you develop these skills. The sort of person who takes great joy in documenting their processes accurately and clearly to achieve perfection.
- A keen interest in service design or program delivery will allow you to really enjoy & thrive in this role.
- Looking for a role within a small, growing organization with a close culture and a keen drive to create their own role as Emerge develops. An active drive and enthusiasm to evolve and expand your role will be a huge asset to you in this role. In a fast growing startup, the work is continually evolving. With the right work ethic, there is great potential for you to carve out new areas of work in this role and build to your strengths.
- TO APPLY:
- Please send a cover letter and up-to-date CV. In your cover letter we’d like you to explain:
- · What is your expertise and experience
- · Your motivation for applying;
- · Why your past experience makes you an excellent choice;
- · What you’ve learnt about yourself in recent roles regarding how you best work;
- · Your career goals for the next 2-5 years.