Director of Technology
The Director of Technology is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of software and related infrastructure. They will help answer the fundamentals of technology blocks to be used, make the the choice of a certain platform/tech over others, and help the team visualize products with the available resources and assets.
This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, and Partners.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions.
This individual is accountable for the following systems: Linux, OS X, and Windows systems that support GIS infrastructure; Linux, OS X, Windows and Application systems that support Asset Management; Responsibilities on these systems include Systems Administration engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
- Platform selection and technical design. Help answer fundamentals of technology blocks to be used, choice of certain platform/tech over other, helping team visualize product with the available resources and assets.
- Build, manage, and validate a Tech Roadmap for our products. As validation of the ideas happen with acquisition of users and customers, the products may undergo transformation of their required features set and market needs. A roadmap to achieve those “vanity goals” for startups, and be able to successfully tweak an approach with changing needs is expected from Director of Technology.
- Seeing the big picture (in graphic detail). Make a pragmatic assessment of all current and future tech needs. Know the actual capacity of what we have, what's written and what's not, what the architecture can and can't support, and how long it would take to build something new.
- Grow technical leaders. In order to scale, it is necessary to create a central set of standards, clear expectations, and a process for training new leaders. It is important to apply the lessons we learn from early development to all future ones.
- Own the development methodology. With time, help build a progressive learning culture and establish a predictable model of envisioning, designing and developing products.
- Bachelor (4-year) degree, with a technical major, such as engineering or computer science and 2 years of related experience -OR- 5 years of experience
- Project portfolio showing previous work for web-based companies
- Familiarity with free and open-source solutions for lean startups
- Experience with reviewing code quality and managing small projects with outsourced developers
- Knowledge of HTML 5, CSS 3, GitHub, MySQL, AngularJS, and PHP, as well as the fundamentals of web design and publishing