Senior Database Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Gametime connects communities through frictionless and beautiful mobile applications. We believe communities get closer when people get off the couch and have fun at a live event. Backed by Accel Partners, Google Ventures, Evolution Media Partners, as well as team owners Jeff Mallett (Giants / Whitecaps / Derby FC), Vivek Ranadive (Kings), and David Blitzer (76ers / Devils) we've raised $33mm to date.
Built for iOS and Android, Gametime makes getting into an event as amazing as being there. Inside gametime.co/app we provide high-res panoramic photos from every section, curated listings as we decrease a universe of 5,000 options to the 50 best, with ultra fast two-tap checkout and no printing. With our mobile-only approach, we've reduced a 30-minute process to 30 seconds. After purchase, fans can text tickets to friends or sell (via patent-pending Snap & Sell technology) if they can’t make it. This experience has led to rapid, 300% annual growth. Gametime apps have been featured in both the Apple App Store and Google Play Store!
If you’re passionate about big data and data-driven engineering, curious about any problem where data can be applied, and love scaling large data sets, we’d love to hear from you! Join us and have a crucial impact on important business decisions. Help us optimize our feeds and pricing so that Gametimers have the best experience anywhere and we generate more togetherness for our world.
- Continually improve the performance, operability, scalability and availability of our large scale distributed database systems handling hundreds of terabytes of data
- Design, build and operate on our big data technologies stack: Kinesis, Redshift, Mongo/MemSQL/VoltDB
- Implement reporting & dashboard systems as well as systems for ad-hoc analysis of Gametime’s performance metrics
- Implement data-intensive stream processing apps hooking back into user facing features
- Plan and participate in software development from inception to completion
- Participate in our rotational 24X7 on-call
- Must have Bachelor’s Degree in Information Science, Computer Science, or similar areas or equivalent work experience
- Expert knowledge with MySQL/PostGres, Redis, Redshift, VoltDB or MemSQL, and able to build and optimize complex SQL queries efficiently
- Strong knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and code design
- Expert knowledge in either Ruby, Python, Go, Java or Scala
- Prior experience working closely with team members to implement database designs and generate regular reports
- Excellent problem solver and communicator
- Demonstrated expertise in managing database systems at scale
- Knowledge of MongoDB a plus
New Gametimers join for the community of high-performers (known as the Gameteam). New employees also love the environment as we aspire to build the best place to work in SF ...
We offer market rate salary (even though we’re small) and real equity (meaning you come out way ahead). Everyone here does meaningful work. You won't end up on the "login button team" here, you will be a big part of the most important conversations on the engineering team. There’s free catered lunch Monday through Thursday, with Friday lunch outside the office reimbursed by the company! We offer a robust insurance package including a Kaiser HMO medical plan and Cigna for medical (OAP or HSA), dental, and vision plans (100% coverage for employees!). We also have monthly $75 cell phone reimbursement and $80 commuter benefit. We love going to games and we're right by AT&T Park so (if you're into it) you'll hit a bunch of them with us (and your friends via a $100 monthly credit). Go Giants!
In summary, we're fast, well-funded and growing quickly. It's an exciting time to join the Gameteam.