Garnet Headquarters /
COVID-19 Operations /
Full Time - Part Time
Garnet Transport Medicine, a division of Garnet Health, is a dynamic and innovative multi- disciplinary healthcare delivery company specializing in emergency medical services, basic and advanced life support interfacility ambulance transport, clinical logistics coordination, and mobile diagnostic testing service lines. Garnet provides services to patients, clients, and partners in the Vermont and Upstate NY region.
Garnet has an exciting opportunity with immediate openings for Medical Technologist to facilitate COVID-19 Vaccinations in an eﬀort to support public health and safety. Qualiﬁed candidates are encouraged to apply based on the job functions and requirements listed below.
We recognize there is a risk associated in working directly with potentially positive COVID-19 patients. Garnet will provide the necessary PPE to protect our Medical Technologists and patients from exposures. We continually work to improve safety protocols for both staﬀ and patients during this rapidly changing environment, however recognition of this risk is required for employment.
Compensation & Benefits
Garnet oﬀers competitive compensation and a generous company subsidized beneﬁts package including paid time oﬀ, paid parental leave, health, dental, and vision insurance at a low cost to employees.
- Medical Technologist scope includes complex analysis of microscopic, immunologic, biologic, bacteriologic, hematologic, and chemical tests and their results. The specific job duties of a medical technologist will vary based on specialization and on the specific needs of the laboratory and its clients.
- Some formal training may be provided on the job, specific to the testing platforms, recording and compliance programs in place.
Current Tasks the Medical Technologist Will Be Asked to Perform
- Supervise testing personnel in doing the current testing as well as maintain self-proficiency in:
- Collecting Nasal Swabs for respiratory antigen and PCR testing – Posterior pharyngeal and Anterior naris
- Preparing the samples for testing
- Operating and calibrating equipment-
- Completing the testing using current platforms- see list below:
- Using BIOFIRE torch 22 respiratory panel
- Solana Covid/Flu/RSV
- Quidel Sofia SARS CoV 2/ Flu/ RSV
- Quidel Professional Antigen SARS COV 2
- Overseeing testing, maintenance, QC, Proficiency testing
- Establishing and monitoring programs that ensure data accuracy
- Analyzing lab reports for accuracy
- Be aware and maintain Infection control and sterilization protocols
- Delivering test results to physicians, or patients
- In cases of patient contact, performing first aid as needed
- Communicating with Lab director and /or Technical Consultant with any variations in results, of technical issues within the laboratory such as environment, testing, machines, integration, or sampling as well as any other unforeseen issue with lab and results that could affect patient outcomes and care.
- Perform Moderate complexity lab testing and CLIA waived testing as per CLIA certificate for Garnet Lab-
- Remain available if needed for testing personnel for training and supervision as well as on call for administration
- if a platform is added and CLIA approved, you will be asked to train and become competent on that instrument - Preparing the samples for examination, using automated equipment and specialized instrumentation, performing numerous complicated tests simultaneously, and accurately interpreting the results, which could include blood, urine and stool samples.
- The Medical Technologist reports directly to the Garnet Medical Director and to the designated shift supervisor when applicable. The Medical Technologist also works under other rendering providers when facilitating patient facing activities or procedures
- The Medical Technologist will interact with rendering and referring providers, patients, family, and administrative staﬀ throughout their day. The Medical Technologist will have regular contact during their shift with the general public, patients, their families, and healthcare representatives. The Medical Technologist may provide functional guidance within their approved scope of practice to other team members when appropriate. It is expected that all employees will support the Garnet organizational mission statement and comport themselves with compassion, integrity, professional excellence, respect, stewardship, and community.
Freedom to Act/Accountability
- The Medical Technologist has freedom to function independently within the deﬁned protocols and procedures established by Corporate Medical Direction, rendering providers, and Garnet leadership and is accountable to established regulatory standards and methodologies consistent with industry best practice. The Medical Technologist has no supervisory responsibilities and does not manage any direct reports.
- Bachelor's degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science or allied health technologies (required)
- Garnet reserves the right to request prospective candidates to provide documentation of their healthcare experience and clinical skills
- 5 years’ experience in a clinical hospital lab, office lab, or some combination thereof and managerial experience in a lab setting is helpful.
- Experience with physician practice
- Experience with oﬃce equipment, electronic medical records software, phones, and internet-based video conferencing strongly preferred.
- Communicate eﬀectively
- Practice and knowledge of Universal Precautions, isolation procedures, and appropriate infection control measures during routine specimen collection
- Ability to apply and safely remove Personal Protective Equipment (including full face respirator, surgical mask, N95 mask, isolation gown, and gloves) required
- Must be able to demonstrate competency in operating computer systems and clinical documentation systems.
- Current Medical Technologist Certification
- While performing the duties of this job, the Medical Technologist may be required to stand, walk, use hands and ﬁngers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. Speciﬁc vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance visions, color visions, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Conditions of Hire/Employment
- Valid Vermont Driver’s License with clean driving record for previous 3 years
- Must be able to pass a comprehensive State and Federal background check including inquiries into multiple healthcare and human services agencies:
- VT Agency of Human Services Child Protection Registry
- VT Division of Licensing and Protection Adult Abuse Registry
- List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Oﬃce of the Inspector General (OIG) and the General Services Administration (GSA)
- VT and NY State Medicaid Fraud
- Ability to pass pre-employment tests appropriate to your clinical licensure to include:
- Medical terminology
Garnet Transport Medicine, LLC (Garnet Healthcare) is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Garnet Transport Medicine, LLC (Garnet Healthcare) does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.