Machine Learning Ops Engineer
Machine Learning /
Gather AI builds revolutionary software that enables drones to fly autonomously to collect and report warehouse inventory data. We’re an early-stage startup, so your work will have a large impact. You will have a lot of responsibility, but also autonomy and flexibility in how you choose to accomplish your goals. You will work closely with our autonomy and deep learning/computer vision team and will have many opportunities to learn about all the technologies used in our products.
As an ML-Ops Engineer, you will apply help Gather develop the next generation of deep inventory insight by leading the design and development of the backend stack that will help our users visualize and manage their assets in real-time, using information acquired from our drones.
Our ideal teammate strives to create highly intuitive and responsive products. You're a fast learner, can contribute from day one, and can bring thoughtful opinions to the table. You have excellent coding, problem solving, and debugging skills, and eager to learn more. You are very organized, calm under pressure, attentive to detail, and persistent in solving and analyzing problems.
What You'll Do
- Design and implement a robust backend framework to handle diverse client datasets, organize data for machine learning development, training, and testing, and report performance to the team and customers.
- Lead the validation of computer vision models and framework components developed by our ML engineers to ensure reliability and continued excellence.
- Improve our internal ML dashboard to report key metrics, helping to keep our team and customers updated on our ML production readiness and deployed system performance.
- Track model version changes, helping us answer the "how, what, and why" of general-case and client-specific ML pipeline updates.
- When needed, you may be asked to get your feet wet in ML experimentation, helping our ML engineers solve new problems and improve existing solutions.
What You'll Need
- B.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Math, or other related quantitative/computational discipline, with coursework in machine learning, deep learning, computer vision, artificial intelligence, or data science.
- Industry or academic experience in contributing to solving problems with state-of-the-art machine learning techniques, with focused projects relevant to a problem area in computer vision (e.g. object recognition, semantic segmentation, depth estimation, OCR).
- Broad understanding of the unique benefits and realistic challenges of real-world applied machine learning, as well as fine-grained insight into commonly-used machine learning approaches.
- Experience actively working with large-scale heterogenous databases, using industry standard frameworks/tools for database management (e.g. SQL, mongoDB, or similar).
- Multi-faceted knowledge of software development tools and practices, and a proactive approach to bridging between platforms and disciplines.
- Python, C/C++, Java.
- Experience building tools to manage or assist high-priority data processing pipelines, in academia or in industry.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, and communicate about what you're doing with your coworkers.
Nice to Have
- MS in CS, ML, AI, CV, or Data Science
- 3-4 years research experience in ML/CV/robotics
- Published research (conference or journal, first author not required) in the ML/CV/robotics space
- Experience working in a small team, with autonomy and decision-making responsibility
- Experience using cloud platforms (e.g. AWS EC2) and CI tools (Ansible, Jenkins) in production
- Experience with software testing & best-practices in test development/software QA
Nice to Have
- Experience in the robotics field - deployment, operations, engineering, or research.
- Experience with iOS frameworks (Swift, Obj-C/C++, Cocoa, etc).
- Eagerness to learn new technologies (interest in drones/UAVs a big plus!)
- Experience with open-source pipelining tools (Airflow, Spark, etc).
- Willingness to jump outside your comfort zone and expand your horizons.
- Track record of adaptation to changing requirements, priorities, and technology ecosystems.
- A highly nerdy sense of humor!
- M.S. or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Data Science, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, or Artificial Intelligence.
- 2+ years development experience with modern ML frameworks (e.g. PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras)
- Industry development experience in a machine-learning-oriented organization, working with a team using modern machine learning techniques to solve real-world business problems.
- Web stack development experience with an eye toward data analytics (JS frameworks, REST APIs, etc.)
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation package will include equity
- Comprehensive health insurance
- Home office stipend
- Remote work with very flexible schedule
- Unlimited PTO
Our recruitment process begins with a 15-minute introductory call, followed by a HackerRank coding challenge and 2 interviews: a technical interview with a live coding exercise, and a systems exercise/culture fit interview with a founder. The process concludes with reference and background checks, followed by an offer decision.
We look forward to meeting you!