Field Operations Manager
If you’re passionate about technology and inspired by the challenge of building efficient transportation networks, have earned the qualifications below, and see yourself as a lifelong learner who enjoys building initiatives from the ground-up – consistently curious and boasting a proven track record of delivering complex projects at the intersection of fleet management and technology – this position may be a great fit for you!
The Field Operations Manager is responsible for day-to-day operational planning, delivery, monitoring and reporting for Gatik’s operations in Toronto, ON. They’re a maverick, capable of sporting multiple hats simultaneously while providing exceptional hands-on and supervisory operational leadership to meet customer needs, while driving autonomous technology development. We are looking for team members who are driven by customer success and improving transportation.
You will launch and maintain testing and client-facing operational sites with multiple vehicles and personnel. You will evaluate and supervise with the drivers, including: coaching, mentoring, hiring and termination as necessary. You will be responsible for planning, directing, and overseeing all transportation functions to ensure that customer service is performed safely, on time, and in accordance with specifications.
- Drive a culture of safety first across all aspects of the roleLead the recruitment, training and retention of quality drivers into the fleet
- Monitor and supervise drivers’ performance, ensuring a high level of customer service and executional excellence
- Develop efficient driver schedules to maximize resources
- Manage drivers so they provide on-going feedback, adhere to schedules, and support with vehicle maintenance tasks
- Establish and maintain the Toronto operations, including drafting, delivering and continuous improvement of standard operating procedures (SOPs) – ensuring all aspects of transportation operations are running smoothly
- Support with maintaining detailed records of vehicle servicing and inspection
- Support with scheduling regular vehicle maintenance to ensure operational efficiency
- Support with maintaining strict servicing and maintenance times to minimize downtime and maintain schedules
- Analyze data to increase operational efficiency
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in Logistics, Transportation Management, Fleet Management, and/or related field/work experience
- 3+ years of experience managing a fleet of multiple vehicles with multiple operators
- Experience working in a metrics/data-driven environment
- Knowledge of vehicle engine, drive train, frame and body, suspension and steering, braking, exhaust, and ignition systems
- Basic knowledge of common vehicle electrical and networking systems
- Experience in managing multiple human and operational assets in an additive fashion
- Preference will be given to candidates with a strong operations background, ideally working across a broad range of technologies and ability to think and communicate at a “system level”
- Proven experience proactively planning for and mitigating possible risks
- Multiple years of related experience including direct supervision experience in distribution, production/operations management, warehouse management or related field
- Experience successfully delivering in a fast-paced, often changing environment
- Comfort with addressing - hands-on or through delegation - any operational gap regardless of how small and tactical, or large and strategic they might be
- Comfort in preparing and presenting results to a cross-functional audience
- Comfort in taking on new tasks and challenges as required
Gatik is developing autonomous light trucks and vans for business to business (B2B) short-haul logistics. Our autonomous vehicles reduce the high cost of urban logistics, while improving safety, increasing efficiency, reducing congestion and emissions, and allowing businesses to best serve the community. We have offices in Palo Alto & Toronto and are looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast moving execution-oriented team.