Head of Mapping and Localization, Autonomous Driving
Palo Alto, CA
At Gatik we’re developing Level 4 automated light trucks and vans for business to business (B2B) short-haul logistics. Our autonomous vehicles reduce the high cost of urban logistics, while improving safety, increasing efficiency, reducing congestion and emissions, and allowing businesses to best serve the community.
Led by a team of AV researchers and engineers from Carnegie Mellon University, we are building new concepts and groundbreaking solutions for autonomous vehicles to ensure goods are transported between business locations both efficiently and affordably in city environments. With offices in Palo Alto and Toronto, we are dedicated to building commercial applications of AVs and aim to power the next generation of self-driving commercial fleets for urban logistics.
We're looking for high-energy, creative and collaborative candidates to lead our mapping and localization efforts. This will be a challenging but extremely rewarding job. If you want to solve hard problems and are passionate about Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you!
- Research, develop and implement algorithms to solve large-scale mapping and real-time localization problems for our fleet of autonomous vehicles
- Develop auto and semi-auto labeling and mapping tools
- Analyze and architect safety and redundancy in the localization system
- Build and improve map creation process
- Benchmark and validate localization algorithms for final deployment on the vehicles
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in CS, Robotics or related field
- Excellent software development skills in C/C++ and/or Python
- Minimum of 3 years industry work experience in mapping and localization
- Experience working on the full stack of a robotics system
- Experience with pose estimation, nonlinear optimization, probabilistic filtering, and 3D data
- Proven system integration and software architecture skills
- Experience with distributed frameworks (MapReduce, Spark)
- Knowledge of SLAM, point cloud registration, GNSS/INS
- Experience with Docker
- Knowledge and experience working with IMU, GPS, lidars, radars, and camera sensor data
- 5+ years industry work experience
- Familiarity with distributed processing of large-scale data
- Publications in your field (especially CVPR, ICCV, RSS, ICRA)
- Competitive salaries, generous equity, and benefits including 401K, medical, dental & vision
- Regularly scheduled on and off-site team building activities
- Free catered lunches, snacks, and drinks
- Start-up environment where you’ll help shape the culture and have a huge impact
- Work on innovative products and challenging problems with some amazingly talented (and fun) people
- Be at ground zero of the AV revolution!