Software Engineer, Simulation (All Levels)
Toronto, ON /
At Gatik we’re developing Level 4 automated light trucks and vans for business to business (B2B) short-haul logistics. Our autonomous vehicles reduce the high cost of urban logistics, while improving safety, increasing efficiency, reducing congestion and emissions, and allowing businesses to best serve the community.
Led by a team of AV researchers and engineers from Carnegie Mellon University, we are building new concepts and groundbreaking solutions for autonomous vehicles to ensure goods are transported between business locations both efficiently and affordably in city environments. With offices in Palo Alto and Toronto, we are dedicated to building commercial applications of AVs and aim to power the next generation of self-driving commercial fleets for urban logistics.
We're looking for high-energy, creative and collaborative candidates who would like to be involved in all aspects of growing a fast-paced, execution-oriented team. Your work will be critical to the success of the organization and will speed up the development-verification cycles by enabling onboard module engineers to rapidly evaluate their changes and iterate. You will ensure quality of software deployed on real-world autonomous vehicles to minimize safety risk. If you’re curious and passionate about AVs, we'd like to meet you!
- Create accurate 3D virtual environments to simulate autonomous vehicles in realistic situations, from intersection scale to city scale
- Implement smart actors and agents in complex virtual environment that closely mimic their real-world behaviors
- Develop advanced simulation features such as sensor simulation and realistic vehicle dynamics models
- Create regression testing tools leveraging both empirical and simulated scenarios and data
- Test safety scenarios and acquire virtual miles; run use case for load haul dump cycle, edge dump, bench loading, etc.
- Develop and maintain a highly-scalable framework to run and monitor huge amount of simulation jobs in the cloud
- Master’s or PhD degree in CS, Robotics or related field
- 3-5 years hands-on experience building simulation platforms
- Proficient in C/C++ and/or Python and comfortable navigating a large code base
- Experience with physical system modeling and simulation
- Experience with graphics APIs and frameworks such as OpenGL, DirectX, or Vulkan
- Expertise in large-scale cloud infrastructure, e.g. G-Cloud or AWS
- Background in linear algebra and calculus (e.g. computer graphics, projections, matrix operations)
- Experience working in container based technologies like Docker
- Self-starter; the ability to own projects with little oversight
- Experience applying and tuning deep neural networks in large scale data-driven applications
- Working knowledge of various sensor technologies including camera, RADAR, LIDAR, ultrasonic, and vehicle state sensors
- Experience building scalable frameworks to run massive amounts of simulations in a cluster environment
- Experience with CI/CD systems
- Experience with physics engines (e.g. Bullet, Havok, PhysX)
- Experience developing agent behaviors, physics, gameplay, tools, or GUIs
- Expertise in designing and testing algorithms for production and maintaining them once they are in production
- Competitive salaries, generous equity and benefits including medical, dental & vision
- Regularly scheduled on and off-site team building activities
- Free catered lunches, snacks, and drinks
- Start-up environment where you’ll help shape the culture and have a huge impact
- Work on innovative products and challenging problems with some amazingly talented (and fun) people
- Be at ground zero of the AV revolution!