Director of Engineering
Palo Alto, CA
At Gatik we’re developing Level 4 automated light trucks and vans for business to business (B2B) short-haul logistics. Our autonomous vehicles reduce the high cost of urban logistics, while improving safety, increasing efficiency, reducing congestion and emissions, and allowing businesses to best serve the community.
Led by a team of AV researchers and engineers from Carnegie Mellon University, we are building new concepts and groundbreaking solutions for autonomous vehicles to ensure goods are transported between business locations both efficiently and affordably in city environments. With offices in Palo Alto and Toronto, we are dedicated to building commercial applications of AVs and aim to power the next generation of self-driving commercial fleets for urban logistics.
We're looking for looking for experienced individuals who are passionate about mobility, applied artificial intelligence and high impact engineering that will revolutionize society. This role intersects leadership, technical excellence and problem solving and strategic thinking to align engineering goals and objectives with company mission and moving forward vigorously with consensus.
- Build software for self-driving vehicles by leading, managing, and growing a team of software engineers and scientists
- Deliver software releases using agile processes at regular cadence with enterprise level quality and performance
- Develop and maintain a technical roadmap and make key architectural decisions, assemble and guide the team with well-defined technical directions and drive the technical initiatives needed to deliver on critical company level goals
- Take responsibility for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects
- Provide the team with technical leadership and contribute technically to projects
- Work closely with other teams, especially within engineering and product development
- PhD in Computer Science, Robotics or similar technical field
- 7+ years of hands on software development experience - building systems from the ground up in an Agile environment
- Experience integrating codebase(s) and deployment platforms, ensuring reliability and scalability
- Track record of delivering complex technical projects
- Experience in CI management and deployment tools like Jenkins, Git, Bash etc.
- Experience using Debian/Ubuntu Linux OS, containers (Docker/Kubernetes), configuration management using tools such as Vagrant, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Saltstack, etc.
- Significant hands-on technical leadership and engineering management experience in the robotics/AV space
- Expert-level knowledge in one or more of: State estimation, real-time systems, mapping and localization, machine learning, neural networks, object detection, tracking and decision making
- Experience with robotics and AI applications (self-driving cars, real-time hardware-software systems, etc)
- Significant experience writing production quality C++ code
- Experience with deploying software on either public clouds (eg. AWS) or on-premise clusters
- 3+ years of engineering management experience with teams of 20+ s/w engineers
- Deep understanding of GPU architecture
- Extensive experience in academic research or industrial research in the form of publishing to top conference (CVPR, ICML, ICRA, etc.)