Firmware Developer – Winter 2022 Co-op
Hardware Engineering /
A BIT ABOUT US
GBatteries was founded seven years ago to tackle one of the world’s most pressing issues: the transition to a cleaner future through electrification. We are pioneering battery technology which enables ultra-fast charging of Li-ion batteries without compromising battery life — and without changing the battery’s chemistry or manufacturing process. Ultimately, our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of electric vehicles.
We are working on some of the biggest challenges in energy storage, and are looking for the right people to join us as we develop our technology and continue to scale.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE ROLE
As a Firmware Developer, you will be working in a fast-moving team of engineers and scientists to develop implementation design solutions for an active battery management system. You’ll be involved in developing production-quality code that’ll be implemented into products used by customers. Tasks include designing and programming of embedded software implemented on microcontrollers and SoCs. You’ll be also generating and maintaining documentation for testing, manufacturing, and product specification.
We've not set it in stone, however our preferred salary range for this position is $17-26 per hour, depending on experience and background.
You’ll join a small but growing hardware team where everyone—including our interns—is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about creating dependable products. While we are still growing and have plenty to do, we are incredibility supportive of each other and pitch in to support our peers when problems arise.
THE SKILL SET
- Computer science, electrical engineering or related background
- Previous experience in at least 1 firmware development role in the industry
- Programming, integration and debugging experience in C/C++
- Experience in testing and validating firmware functionality directly on embedded platforms
- Understanding of communication protocols: I2C, UART, SPI, TCP/IP, USB
- Understanding of memory mapping, concurrency, and hardware-software interface
- Hands-on experience with test equipment, including in-circuit debuggers, signal generators and oscilloscopes
- Excellent technical communication skills (oral and written)
Nice to haves:
- Programming, integration and debugging experience in Assembler
- Hands-on experience with low-level/embedded TCP/IP stacks
- Hands-on firmware experience with TI’s C2000 family of microcontrollers
- Hands-on with scripting using languages such as Python
- Hands-on soldering skills
- Experience in implementing firmware/software elements on microcontrollers and SoCs, in both bare-metal and RTOS-based environments
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Become familiar with the firmware architecture used in our in-house research systems.
- Start working on a primary design project that will evolve over the course of the internship.
WITHIN 2 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Assist the embedded team with developing firmware elements and testing new features on the systems.
- Start to better understand the role of the firmware features within the R&D environment at GBatteries.
- Make significant progress on your primary design project for the term.
WITHIN 4 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Wrap up your primary design project.
- Become a reference for the inner workings of certain aspects of the firmware.
- Educate the rest of the team with the findings and improvements you made over the course of your internship.
WHAT WE OFFER
We are working on many exciting projects towards our ultimate goal of breaking down the final barrier preventing the adoption of electric vehicles; range anxiety. We’re a growing company working with some of the largest manufacturers in the world, and there’s still a huge amount to do. Even as an intern joining us, you’ll be able to see the impact of your work from day one, and have the opportunity to see the final effect on real world products. We encourage unconventional thinking, and seek resilient problem solvers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
HOW TO APPLY
Is the idea of enabling the global mass adoption of electric vehicles exciting to you? We’d love to hear from you! To apply please include a short message addressed to Henry Rearden within the application below; no cover letter necessary. If you have any questions, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out to Vlad Belov on LinkedIn.
We particularly value diversity, and we know that experience comes in many forms. If your unique experience is close to what we’re looking for, please still consider applying.