Algorithm Developer - Fall 2022 Co-op
Software Engineering /
A BIT ABOUT US
GBatteries was founded eight years ago to tackle one of the world’s most pressing issues: the transition to a cleaner future through electrification. We are pioneering battery technology which enables ultra-fast charging of Li-ion batteries without compromising battery life — and without changing the battery’s chemistry or manufacturing process. Ultimately, our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of electric vehicles.
We are working on some of the biggest challenges in energy storage, and are looking for the right people to join us as we develop our technology and continue to scale.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE ROLE
As an Algorithm Developer on our Algorithm Development team, you’ll be responsible for helping us create and improve GBatteries’ innovative battery management systems. You will be developing and testing components of battery management systems for ABMS library, building data analysis and visualization tools, developing and testing profiles for evaluation of ABMS for specific applications, and conducting cycling experiments for cell characterization and model development.
You will also work with our Software Team to build out data pipelines and deploy models into a production environment. You’ll become familiar with all aspects of the project and will be involved from design to implementation and deployment.
You’ll join a small but growing team where everyone—including you—is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about creating dependable products. While we are still growing and have plenty to do, we are incredibility supportive of each other and pitch in to support our peers when problems arise.
THE ENGINEERING CULTURE
- Autonomy: There's no red tape on what technology frameworks you can use, or what language you should be coding in. We believe in using the best tool(s) for the job, and learning any new ones along the way.
- Scope: You won't be adding small features to a monolithic codebase; you will be building entire products from start to finish. Your team members will recognize you for the products you build and the impact these products have on their workflow. You will have the opportunity to identify the business needs for a particular product, work through the development life cycle, and interact with your customers directly.
- Interesting Problems: Much of what we do is in uncharted territories. As a result, we are often posed with interesting and challenging engineering problems, which will encourage you to prototype, iterate, and innovate. It's part of the company culture to encourage crazy ideas, and celebrate failures as learning opportunities. Many of the design problems you will encounter won't have answers on Google or Stack Overflow, they will encourage you to come up with unique approaches and strengthen your design thinking.
- Growth: Working at a start-up is a great way to supercharge your skillset, and accelerate your learning. You will be put in a fast-paced environment where you're always working at the bleeding edge of technology.
THE TECH STACK
· Web Development: React.js, Flask
· Data Warehousing: DynamoDB, Redshift, MySQL
· DevOps: Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Terraform, Ansible
THE SKILL SET
- Previous experience in at least one data analysis or development role in industry
- Strong proficiency in Python with emphasis on data analysis packages
- Project or work experience with analysis of experimental data
- Knowledge of discrete signal processing or related data science techniques
- Knowledge of control systems such as PID controllers
- Previous experience in electronics, implementation of physical or chemical models, or knowledge of machine learning algorithms will be considered as a plus
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
- Develop data analysis and visualization tools to support research and development projects
- Develop and test scripts with controllers and conduct cycling experiments
- Support the implementation and use of tools for cell characterization
WITHIN 4 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
- Work with team members to develop and evaluate components of battery management systems
- Design and execute experiments to characterize Li-ion cells and improve models and algorithms
- Be able to independently develop test scripts for evaluating algorithms under specific conditions
- Support the deployment of models and data pipelines for fast charge technology
WHAT WE OFFER
We are working on many exciting projects towards our ultimate goal of breaking down the final barrier preventing the adoption of electric vehicles; range anxiety. We’re a growing company working with some of the largest manufacturers in the world, and there’s still a huge amount to do. You’ll be able to see the impact of your work from day one, and have the opportunity to see the final effect on real world products. We encourage unconventional thinking, and seek resilient problem solvers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
HOW TO APPLY
Is the idea of enabling the global mass adoption of electric vehicles exciting to you? We’d love to hear from you! To apply please include a short message addressed to Henry Rearden within the application below; no cover letter necessary. If you have any questions, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out to Vlad Belov on LinkedIn.
We particularly value diversity, and we know that experience comes in many forms. If your unique experience is close to what we’re looking for, please still consider applying.