Data Engineer - Winter 2022 Co-op
Software Engineering /
A BIT ABOUT US
GBatteries was founded seven years ago to tackle one of the world’s most pressing issues: the transition to a cleaner future through electrification. We are pioneering battery technology which enables ultra-fast charging of Li-ion batteries without compromising battery life — and without changing the battery’s chemistry or manufacturing process. Ultimately, our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of electric vehicles.
We are working on some of the biggest challenges in energy storage, and are looking for the right people to join us as we develop our technology and continue to scale.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE ROLE
As a Data Engineer on our Data Science team, you’ll be responsible for helping us build out data pipelines, plan ETL systems, and manipulate large amounts of data from various sources to scale our ML initiatives. You will also work with our Software Team to deploy machine learning models into a production environment. You’ll become familiar with all aspects of the project and will be involved from design to implementation and deployment.
You’ll join a small but growing software team where everyone—including you—is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about creating dependable products. While we are still growing and have plenty to do, we are incredibility supportive of each other and pitch in to support our peers when problems arise.
THE ENGINEERING CULTURE
• Autonomy: There's no red tape on what technology frameworks you can use, or what language you should be coding in. We believe in using the best tool(s) for the job, and learning any new ones along the way.
• Scope: You won't be adding small features to a monolithic codebase; you will be building entire products from start to finish. Your team members will recognize you for the products you build and the impact these products have on their workflow. You will have the opportunity to identify the business needs for a particular product, work through the development life cycle, and interact with your customers directly.
• Interesting Problems: Much of what we do is in uncharted territories. As a result, we are often posed with interesting and challenging engineering problems, which will encourage you to prototype, iterate, and innovate. It's part of the company culture to encourage crazy ideas, and celebrate failures as learning opportunities. Many of the design problems you will encounter won't have answers on Google or Stack Overflow, they will encourage you to come up with unique approaches and strengthen your design thinking.
• Growth: Working at a start-up is a great way to supercharge your skillset, and accelerate your learning. You will be put in a fast-paced environment where you're always working at the bleeding edge of technology.
THE TECH STACK
• Web Development: React.js, Flask,
• Data Warehousing: DynamoDB, Redshift, MySQL
• DevOps: Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Terraform, Ansible
THE SKILL SET
• Previous experience in at least one data or software development role in industry
• Strong proficiency in Python with emphasis on data analysis packages (Pandas, NumPy, or similar)
• Project or work experience with writing complex queries for SQL or NoSQL databases
• Proficiency working with the command line in Ubuntu or any similar Linux distribution
• Understanding of how databases work, are deployed, and how to optimize queries
• Experience with Docker, Kubernetes or any similar container orchestration service is a plus
WITHIN 4 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
• Work with our data scientists to build out our Airflow DAGs to automate ETL for large amounts of training data
• Develop a tool to simplify the process of deploying ML models to production environments
• Write a tool to extract large amounts of data from an SQL database and archive it in cloud storage
• Write a tool to extract large amounts of binary data and archive it in cloud storage
WHAT WE OFFER
We are working on many exciting projects towards our ultimate goal of breaking down the final barrier preventing the adoption of electric vehicles; range anxiety. We’re a growing company working with some of the largest manufacturers in the world, and there’s still a huge amount to do. You’ll be able to see the impact of your work from day one, and have the opportunity to see the final effect on real world products. We encourage unconventional thinking, and seek resilient problem solvers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
During the pandemic, we are operating remote-by-default.
HOW TO APPLY
Is the idea of enabling the global mass adoption of electric vehicles exciting to you? We’d love to hear from you! To apply please include a short message addressed to Henry Rearden within the application below; no cover letter necessary. If you have any questions, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out to Vlad Belov on LinkedIn.
We particularly value diversity, and we know that experience comes in many forms. If your unique experience is close to what we’re looking for, please still consider applying.