Battery Test Engineer
Research & Development /
A BIT ABOUT US
GBatteries was founded eight years ago to tackle one of the world’s most pressing issues: the transition to a cleaner future through electrification. We are pioneering battery technology which enables ultra-fast charging of Li-ion batteries without compromising battery life — and without changing the battery’s chemistry or manufacturing process. Ultimately, our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of electric vehicles.
We are working on some of the biggest challenges in energy storage, and are looking for the right people to join us as we develop our technology and continue to scale.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE ROLE
As a Battery test engineer, you'll be working in our R&D Team developing battery charging scripts based on customer requirements and the needs / findings of the research team. You will be responsible for conducting experiments to identify the key parameters in our algorithms, testing hypotheses about degradation mechanisms within the cell, creating new data parsing and visualization tools for our ever-changing needs, and producing test data reports for internal review and our customers. You'll also support our tight-knit test team with the handling of battery cells to and from test/storage, calibrating and maintaining development test boards, and managing test plans and timelines.
THE SKILL SET
· Bachelor’s degree in a chemistry, physics, or electrical field
· Strong proficiency with Python
· Industry experience in setting up, maintaining, and monitoring tests according to test plans
· Experience in collecting, reviewing, and analyzing test data and writing detailed test reports
· Practical laboratory experience (ideally including the testing of lithium-ion batteries)
Nice to haves:
· Understanding of battery cycling standards, characterization, and test systems
· Exposure to techniques of battery characterization and battery test systems
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
· Review data parsing and visualization scripts and implement improvements.
· Familiarize yourself with the processes for test board calibration, cell installation, and cell cycling.
· Be able to identify which channels and which development boards are required for each test.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
· Manage baseline and characterization testing for on-going projects, including the development of test scripts according to customer requirements.
· Begin experimenting with new charging algorithms.
· Produce data result reports and analysis as required by our testing projects.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
· Be fluent in the language of battery cycling and recognize the metrics by which we can assess the health of a battery, or the effectiveness of our algorithms
· Be heavily involved in the development of new charging algorithms.
· Oversee tests from inception, development, execution, and analysis
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
· Take ownership of a project and manage Advanced Battery Management System development and testing strategies. Liaise with representatives of major automotive and battery manufacturers.
· Continue to work hands on with testing, delving deeper into hypotheses related to battery chemistry.
WHAT WE OFFER
We are working on many exciting projects towards our ultimate goal of breaking down the final barrier preventing the adoption of electric vehicles; range anxiety. We’re a growing company working with some of the largest manufacturers in the world, and there’s still a huge amount to do. You’ll be able to see the impact of your work from day one and have the opportunity to see the final effect on real world products. We encourage unconventional thinking and seek resilient problem solvers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
Of course, we also offer other great benefits:
Hybrid work options, inclusive parking, full dental and health coverage, a renovated and spacious office, and fridge and pantry filled with drinks and snacks. We’re conveniently located near the 417 highway with easy access via major public transit routes, right beside a small park and an assortment of shops and restaurants.
HOW TO APPLY
Is the idea of enabling the global mass adoption of electric vehicles exciting to you? We’d love to hear from you! To apply please include a short message addressed to Henry Rearden within the application below; no cover letter necessary. If you have any questions, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out to Vlad Belov on LinkedIn.
We particularly value diversity, and we know that experience comes in many forms. If your unique experience is close to what we’re looking for, please still consider applying.