Power Electronics Developer
Hardware Engineering /
A BIT ABOUT US
GBatteries was founded eight years ago to tackle one of the world’s most pressing issues: the transition to a cleaner future through electrification. We are pioneering battery technology which enables ultra-fast charging of Li-ion batteries without compromising battery life — and without changing the battery’s chemistry or manufacturing process. Ultimately, our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of electric vehicles.
We are working on some of the biggest challenges in energy storage, and are looking for the right people to join us as we develop our technology and continue to scale.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE ROLE
In this role, you will develop our innovative battery test system which features a PCB to allow for switch-per-cell charging of battery module, and prototype topologies and approaches to miniaturize stimulus generation needs of ABMS profiles into IC-implementable solutions. As a member of our R&D team, you will be prototyping and evaluating different topologies cell switches (JFETs, depletion mode MOSFETs, etc.), simulation, and breadboard prototyping of circuits to individually control switches on a battery pack. As Power Electronics Developer you will be in charge of schematic design, board routing, and placement of PCB featuring depletion mode switch-per-cell topology, for the selection and evaluation of FPGA to allow for current control and switching of individual switches to source/sink a given stimulus shape/frequency/AC amplitude/DC offset.
You will lead the board bring-up, write verification tests and lead small-volume production of PCBs, and, also, will write firmware code to control FPGA (and possibly microcontroller) to collect voltage and current data from cells, implement current control loop, implement communications interface for control by higher-level software.
THE ENGINEERING CULTURE
· Knowledge Sharing: As a member of a multi-disciplinary team, you will be encouraged to share your expertise as well as learn from your peers, so as to build exposure to other areas of embedded design while gaining a higher-level understanding of the research platform’s design.
· Scope: Being part of a smaller team, you will quickly become an integral part of our design efforts, taking ownership of a significant portion of the embedded development and hardware design. Your peers will be here to assist and provide insight following your guidance. Conversely, you will be asked to help review work from other contributors, often stepping outside your comfort zone to understand other areas of design.
· Interesting Problems: Much of what we do is in uncharted territories. As a result, we are often posed with interesting and challenging engineering problems, which will encourage you to prototype, iterate, and innovate. It's part of the company culture to encourage novel ideas, and celebrate failures as learning opportunities. Many of the design problems you will encounter won't have answers in application notes, they will encourage you to come up with unique approaches and strengthen your design thinking.
TECHNOLOGY AND TOOLS
· EDA and simulation: Altium, LTSpice, Code Composer Studio, PSim
· Embedded technology: High-accuracy analog systems and sensors, cutting-edge switched-mode power delivery solutions, industry standard communications standards (I2C, SPI, Ethernet, etc.), and data conversion (ADC/DAC)
· Laboratory tools: High performance laboratory equipment, including specialized scope attachments and System-level programmable power supplies and loads
THE SKILL SET
· Bachelor in Electrical/Computer engineering or equivalent
· 3+ years of experience in power electronics design and development
· Strong knowledge of PCB CAD tools and schematic tools
· Experience writing firmware (VHDL, Verilog) for programmable logic devices (CPLD, FPGA)
· Experience developing or working with PMICs, BMS, or any power-related integrated circuits
· Background in automotive industry (working with OEMs, Tier 1 manufacturers, etc.) and experience working with batteries is highly desirable
You will be joining a highly multi-disciplinary team in charge of all embedded development within the company. Everyone in the team brings a unique skillset, and sharing of expertise is encouraged for personal development and skill redundancy purposes. Expertise, creativity and drive for improvement are instrumental in solving the many complex challenges that the embedded team faces!
WHAT WE OFFER
We are working on many exciting projects towards our ultimate goal of breaking down the final barrier preventing the adoption of electric vehicles; range anxiety. We’re a growing company working with some of the largest manufacturers in the world, and there’s still a huge amount to do. You’ll be able to see the impact of your work from day one and have the opportunity to see the final effect on real world products. We encourage unconventional thinking and seek resilient problem solvers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
Of course, we also offer other great benefits:
Hybrid work model, inclusive parking, full dental and health coverage, a renovated and spacious office, and fridge and pantry filled with drinks and snacks. We’re conveniently located near the 417 highway with easy access via major public transit routes, right beside a small park and an assortment of shops and restaurants.
HOW TO APPLY
Is the idea of enabling the global mass adoption of electric vehicles exciting to you? We’d love to hear from you! To apply please include a short message addressed to Henry Rearden within the application below; no cover letter necessary. If you have any questions, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out to Vlad Belov on LinkedIn.
We particularly value diversity, and we know that experience comes in many forms. If your unique experience is close to what we’re looking for, please still consider applying.