Full Stack Developer (React/Python) – Winter 2022 Co-op
Software Engineering /
A BIT ABOUT US
GBatteries was founded seven years ago to tackle one of the world’s most pressing issues: the transition to a cleaner future through electrification. We are pioneering battery technology which enables ultra-fast charging of Li-ion batteries without compromising battery life — and without changing the battery’s chemistry or manufacturing process. Ultimately, our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of electric vehicles.
We are working on some of the biggest challenges in energy storage, and are looking for the right people to join us as we develop our technology and continue to scale.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE ROLE
As a Software Developer intern on our Development team for this Fall, you'll help us build out the core web applications and tools that will serve to enable our research and development teams to effectively test and analyze state-of-the-art batteries.
Over the Fall term, you'll work on developing a data visualization tool that let’s our researcher team explore our vast battery cycling database, and build a continuous integration pipeline to allow the software team to release features faster and more frequently.
You’ll become familiar with all parts of our stack, and be responsible for projects covering all aspects of the software development life cycle. You will exercise judgment in making trade-offs between design and feasibility. As a developer on our close-knit, cross-functional team, you’ll be an active voice in shaping our products.
We've not set it in stone, however our preferred salary range for this position is $ 17-28 per hour.
You’ll join a small but growing software team where everyone—including our interns—is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about creating dependable products. While we are still growing and have plenty to do, we are incredibility supportive of each other and pitch in to support our peers when problems arise.
THE ENGINEERING CULTURE
• Autonomy: There's no red tape on what technology frameworks you can use, or what language you should be coding in. We believe in using the best tool(s) for the job, and learning any new ones along the way.
• Scope: You won't be adding small features to a monolithic codebase; you will be building entire products from start to finish. Your team members will recognize you for the products you build and the impact these products have on their workflow. You will have the opportunity to identify the business needs for a particular product, work through the development life cycle, and interact with your customers directly.
• Interesting Problems: Much of what we do is in uncharted territories. As a result, we are often posed with interesting and challenging engineering problems, which will encourage you to prototype, iterate, and innovate. It's part of the company culture to encourage crazy ideas, and celebrate failures as learning opportunities. Many of the design problems you will encounter won't have answers on Google or Stack Overflow, they will encourage you to come up with unique approaches and strengthen your design thinking.
• Growth: Working at a start-up is a great way to supercharge your skillset, and accelerate your learning. You will be put in a fast-paced environment where you're always working at the bleeding edge of technology.
THE TECH STACK
This is the tech stack our development team works with.
• Web Development: React.js, Flask
• Data Warehousing: Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL
• DevOps: Docker, Kubernetes, Azure, Terraform, Ansible
THE SKILL SET
• Computer science or related background
• Previous experience in at least 1 software development role in industry
• Proficiency in Python
Nice to haves:
• Experience with Python data analysis and visualization tools (Pandas, NumPy, Plotly)
• Experience with CI/CD tools (GitLab CI, GitHub CI, Jenkins, Circle CI, or similar)
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
• Become familiar with our vertically integrated technology stack and get a high-level understanding of the projects the team is working on and how they fit in with the company’s goals
• Start developing on your first project which will be a data visualization tool that will be used by researchers to explore our cycling database
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
• Have released the first version of the data visualization tool, and be collecting feedback to include in further revisions
• Begin working on a continuous integration pipeline to allow the software team to release new features faster and more frequently.
WITHIN 4 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
• Have released several additional revisions to the data visualization tool based on user feedback
• Built out a continuous integration pipeline that you and the rest of the software team will use for bug fixes and feature releases
WHAT WE OFFER
We are working on many exciting projects towards our ultimate goal of breaking down the final barrier preventing the adoption of electric vehicles; range anxiety. We’re a growing company working with some of the largest manufacturers in the world, and there’s still a huge amount to do. You’ll be able to see the impact of your work from day one, and have the opportunity to see the final effect on real world products. We encourage unconventional thinking, and seek resilient problem solvers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
During the pandemic, we are operating remote-by-default.
HOW TO APPLY
Is the idea of enabling the global mass adoption of electric vehicles exciting to you? We’d love to hear from you! To apply please include a short message addressed to Henry Rearden within the application below; no cover letter necessary. If you have any questions, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out to Vlad Belov on LinkedIn.
We particularly value diversity, and we know that experience comes in many forms. If your unique experience is close to what we’re looking for, please still consider applying.