Cloud Infrastructure Developer
Software Engineering /
A BIT ABOUT US
GBatteries was founded nine years ago to tackle one of the world’s most pressing issues: the transition to a cleaner future through electrification. We are pioneering battery technology which enables ultra-fast charging of Li-ion batteries without compromising battery life — and without changing the battery’s chemistry or manufacturing process. Ultimately, our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of electric vehicles.
We are working on some of the biggest challenges in energy storage, and are looking for the right people to join us as we develop our technology and continue to scale.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE ROLE
In this role, you will be responsible for our infrastructure as code used to define our battery research and development platform. You will be developing, testing, and integrating Kubernetes manifests, defining infrastructure in AWS using Terraform, and orchestrating a suite of embedded devices using in-house IoT management tools. Finally, you will be responsible for managing our state-of-the-art data streaming infrastructure which is responsible for identifying, processing, and responding to short-timescale measurements observed in connected battery cells in near real time.
THE ENGINEERING CULTURE
· Knowledge Sharing: As a member of a multi-disciplinary team, you will be encouraged to share your expertise as well as learn from your peers, so as to build exposure to other areas of embedded design while gaining a higher-level understanding of the research platform’s design.
· Scope: Being part of a smaller team, you will quickly become an integral part of our design efforts, taking ownership of a significant portion of the embedded development and hardware design. Your peers will be here to assist and provide insight following your guidance. Conversely, you will be asked to help review work from other contributors, often stepping outside your comfort zone to understand other areas of design.
· Interesting Problems: Much of what we do is in uncharted territories. As a result, we are often posed with interesting and challenging engineering problems, which will encourage you to prototype, iterate, and innovate. It's part of the company culture to encourage novel ideas, and celebrate failures as learning opportunities. Many of the design problems you will encounter won't have answers in application notes, they will encourage you to come up with unique approaches and strengthen your design thinking.
You’ll join a small but growing software team where everyone – including you – is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about creating dependable products. While we are still growing and have plenty to do, we are incredibility supportive of each other and pitch in to support our peers when problems arise.
THE TECH STACK
· Infrastructure: AWS, Terraform, Docker, Kubernetes
· Applications: Python (FastAPI), Typescript (React.js)
· Data Warehousing: NATS, S3, Redshift, DynamoDB, AWS RDS
· Hardware: Embedded Linux, RTOS, Cloud-Hosted Servers
THE SKILL SET
· At least 2 years of experience working in a team developing and deploying software to AWS
· Experience developing and provisioning resources in AWS
· Previous experience developing infrastructure using infrastructure as code tools (Terraform, Ansible, CloudFormation, or similar)
· Experience writing declarative code to administer a Kubernetes cluster (i.e. defining Kubernetes services, deployments, ingress/egress using Kubectl, Helm, or similar)
· Previous deploying applications in or administering clusters using with Kubernetes or Docker Swarm
· Understanding of networking fundamentals (TCP/IP, VPNs, switches, etc.)
Nice to haves:
· Experience with developing and automating CI/CD pipelines
· Experience with setup and configuration of single board computers (Raspberry Pi, NVIDIA Jetson, or similar)
WHAT WE OFFER
We are working on many exciting projects towards our ultimate goal of breaking down the final barrier preventing the adoption of electric vehicles; range anxiety. We’re a growing company working with some of the largest manufacturers in the world, and there’s still a huge amount to do. You’ll be able to see the impact of your work from day one, and have the opportunity to see the final effect on real world products. We encourage unconventional thinking, and seek resilient problem solvers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
HOW TO APPLY
Is the idea of enabling the global mass adoption of electric vehicles exciting to you? We’d love to hear from you! To apply please include a short message addressed to Henry Rearden within the application below; no cover letter necessary. If you have any questions, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out to Vlad Belov on LinkedIn.
We particularly value diversity, and we know that experience comes in many forms. If your unique experience is close to what we’re looking for, please still consider applying.