Battery Management System Developer
Software Engineering /
A BIT ABOUT US
GBatteries was founded nine years ago to tackle one of the world’s most pressing issues: the transition to a cleaner future through electrification. We are pioneering battery technology which enables ultra-fast charging of Li-ion batteries without compromising battery life — and without changing the battery’s chemistry or manufacturing process. Ultimately, our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of electric vehicles.
We are working on some of the biggest challenges in energy storage, and are looking for the right people to join us as we develop our technology and continue to scale.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE ROLE
As a Battery Management System Developer, your role will involve recognizing patterns in our vast battery database, and developing machine learning algorithms and models to optimize batteries' mechanical and electrical performance. You will be required to define the architecture and implement innovative battery management algorithms for utilizing GBatteries’ advanced charging methods for various customer product implementations.
In collaboration with our Research, Software, and Testing teams you’ll be developing models/algorithms for fuel gauging, State of Charge (SoC) estimation, State of Health (SoH) estimation which are implementable in embedded systems. You will also assist in product/requirements definition for custom BMS implementation in discrete or ASIC designs, and schematic capture/placement/routing/bring-up of custom BMS PCBs.
THE ENGINEERING CULTURE
• Autonomy: There's no red tape on what technology frameworks you can use, or what language you should be coding in. We believe in using the best tool(s) for the job, and learning any new ones along the way.
• Scope: You won't be adding small features to a monolithic codebase; you will be designing and building entire products from start to finish. Your team members will recognize you for the products you build and the impact these products have on their workflow. You will have the opportunity to identify the business needs for a particular product, work through the development life cycle, and interact with your customers directly.
• Interesting Problems: Much of what we do is in uncharted territories. As a result, we are often posed with interesting and challenging engineering problems, which will encourage you to prototype, iterate, and innovate. It's part of the company culture to encourage crazy ideas, and celebrate failures as learning opportunities. Many of the design problems you will encounter won't have answers on Google or Stack Overflow, they will encourage you to come up with unique approaches and strengthen your design thinking.
THE SKILL SET
- Extensive experience in design, development and productizing of battery management systems for industrial, commercial or automotive applications:
Modelling: defining mathematical description of cell dynamics
Simulation: using computer tools to predict performance
Identification: fitting a model to cell data obtained via lab tests
- Experience with BMS system design and battery cell dynamics simulations tools (Python, Matlab SIMULINK, or similar)
- Understanding of battery performance analysis and measurements techniques
- Experience writing firmware for embedded devices
- Experience interfacing with peripherals over I2C, SPI, or similar in embedded applications
Nice to haves:
- Understanding of battery cell characterization techniques
- Test automation and data analyses
- Defining system requirements for high level design of ASIC charging solution
- Experience with TI C2000 platform
- Experience with Altium Designer
You’ll join a small but growing R&D team where everyone – including you – is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about creating dependable products. While we are still growing and have plenty to do, we are incredibility supportive of each other and pitch in to support our peers when problems arise.
WHAT WE OFFER
We are working on many exciting projects towards our ultimate goal of breaking down the final barrier preventing the adoption of electric vehicles; range anxiety. We’re a growing company working with some of the largest manufacturers in the world, and there’s still a huge amount to do. You’ll be able to see the impact of your work from day one, and have the opportunity to see the final effect on real world products. We encourage unconventional thinking, and seek resilient problem solvers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
HOW TO APPLY
Is the idea of enabling the global mass adoption of electric vehicles exciting to you? We’d love to hear from you! To apply please include a short message addressed to Henry Rearden within the application below; no cover letter necessary. If you have any questions, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out to Vlad Belov on LinkedIn.
We particularly value diversity, and we know that experience comes in many forms. If your unique experience is close to what we’re looking for, please still consider applying.