Battery Research Scientist
Research & Development /
A BIT ABOUT US
GBatteries was founded eight years ago to tackle one of the world’s most pressing issues: the transition to a cleaner future through electrification. We are pioneering battery technology which enables ultra-fast charging of Li-ion batteries without compromising battery life — and without changing the battery’s chemistry or manufacturing process. Ultimately, our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of electric vehicles.
We are working on some of the biggest challenges in energy storage, and are looking for the right people to join us as we develop our technology and continue to scale.
THE OPPORTUNITY AND THE ROLE
As a Battery Research Scientist, you'll be guiding battery management, charge, and formation algorithm development projects. You'll stay on top of latest scientific research and publications within the fields of Lithium battery technology, determine new experimental and analytical approaches for studying battery degradation mechanisms, and investigate and recommend material and cell chemistry optimizations for LMB prototype cells. You’ll support collaborative research projects with external academic institutions and compile written research reports for customers and internal stakeholders.
THE SKILL SET
· Master’s degree in chemistry, electrochemistry, material science, and/or physics
· PhD will be considered an asset for a senior role
· Hands-on R&D experience in electrochemistry laboratory environment utilizing analytical equipment and laboratory apparatus.
· Proficiency in one or more cell electrochemical characterization tools (e.g., EIS, dQ/dV, half-cell, 3-electrode cell, GITT/PITT, LSV)
· Expertise in one or more materials characterization techniques (e.g., XRD, SEM, XPS, EDX, GC/MS, NMR)
· Experience developing scripts for data analysis (e.g., MATLAB, VBA, Python, R)
Nice to haves:
· Past research experiences in investigation of lithium-ion cell degradation and optimization of battery materials (e.g., LHCE electrolyte, Si-based anodes, Li-metal anode, anode-free, NMC, LCO)
· Physics-based/electrochemical modelling experience (e.g., DFN modelling using PyBaMM/COMSOL)
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL...
· Understand the scope of our battery formation / fast charge research and development
· Study the state of the art of our battery charging algorithm and our approach
· Learn how to work with our testing infrastructure
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
· Offer a critical analysis of our experimental findings
· Support on-going projects with research and knowledge of battery chemistry
· Learn how to make use of our sophisticated data parsing and analysis tools
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
· Lead discussions on new algorithmic approaches to mitigating cell degradation and minimizing formation times
· Summarize key analytical findings in results reports
· Work with Data Science Team to progress the training of our machine learning algorithms
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL...
· Take ownership of the theoretical, analytical, and experimental direction of our Li-ion and Li-Metal fast-charge and formation research
· Become an integral part of the research and development team, a key contributor to the development of our proprietary technology and future patent pursuits
WHAT WE OFFER
We are working on many exciting projects towards our ultimate goal of breaking down the final barrier preventing the adoption of electric vehicles; range anxiety. We’re a growing company working with some of the largest manufacturers in the world, and there’s still a huge amount to do. You’ll be able to see the impact of your work from day one and have the opportunity to see the final effect on real world products. We encourage unconventional thinking and seek resilient problem solvers who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty.
Of course, we also offer other great benefits:
Hybrid work options, inclusive parking, full dental and health coverage, a renovated and spacious office, and fridge and pantry filled with drinks and snacks. We’re conveniently located near the 417 highway with easy access via major public transit routes, right beside a small park and an assortment of shops and restaurants.
HOW TO APPLY
Is the idea of enabling the global mass adoption of electric vehicles exciting to you? We’d love to hear from you! To apply please include a short message addressed to Henry Rearden within the application below; no cover letter necessary. If you have any questions, or just want to say hello, feel free to reach out to Vlad Belov on LinkedIn.
We particularly value diversity, and we know that experience comes in many forms. If your unique experience is close to what we’re looking for, please still consider applying.