SRA: Cell Banking
San Leandro, CA /
R&D – Strain Engineering /
At Geltor we design award-winning ingredients for the world's biggest consumer product companies. Geltor is looking for a Cell Banking Specialist to join our team in San Leandro, CA.
This person will serve as the foundational member of the Cell Banking function and will establish best practices central to Geltor’s R&D and Manufacturing functions. The role is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive microbial cell banking function at Geltor. The ideal candidate will possess initiative and relevant expertise to contribute in a dynamic, collaborative start-up environment. This position will report to a Senior Scientist on our Strain Engineering team while participating in frequent cross-functional collaboration across our R&D groups.
- Relying on industry standard practices, develop cell banking protocols and associated quality metrics and pass/fail criteria for Geltor’s R&D and manufacturing cell banks.
- Ensure SOPs are created, under version control and available for audit as needed.
- With support from IT and Bioinformatics, develop digital systems to ensure cell banks are readily traceable with associated quality control data sets.
- Prepare R&D and manufacturing cell banks as necessary to support both functions.
- Assume primary responsibility for preparing qualified manufacturing cell banks and their delivery to contract manufacturing facilities.
- Lead or support cross functional collaboration with other functions that are reliant on cell banks.
- Provide subject matter expertise for cell bank validation activities that are associated with new equipment, R&D practices, or facility updates.
- Ensure critical cell banks are archived in-house and externally on a defined schedule to protect valuable assets.
- Identify, propose, plan, and execute continuous improvement opportunities for cell banking practices and integrating workflows with stakeholder functions.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Biology, Microbiology or related field plus formal training in aseptic technique.
- Experience with microbial cell culture is necessary, .including broth and agar culture, isolation, propagation and characterization of pure cultures
- Knowledge of cell banking practices, materials, and quality standards are required.
- Understanding of basic molecular biology practices, tools and methods is desired.
- Demonstrated capability in SOP creation, revision, version control is necessary.
- Experience with automation is highly desirable.
- Mammalian cell culture skills are a plus.
- Familiarity with GMP manufacture is a plus.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to Geltor’s mission.
- Excellent interpersonal verbal and written communication skills and ability to discuss complex technical concepts with a variety of audiences.
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic environment to tackle complex problems.
- Exceptional organizational and detail skills and the ability to prioritize and complete projects amidst tight timelines and competing deadlines.
- Ability to exercise informal authority to influence and inspire a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Cultural and emotional intelligence to develop and nurture collaborative relationships in a diverse environment.
- A self-aware, discerning, and intellectually curious team player who embraces the challenges, ambiguity, and excitement of building an entrepreneurial business.
As of January 2nd, 2022, Geltor will require all employees onsite or visiting sites on behalf of Geltor to be fully vaccinated against COVID19 or have a medical or religious exemption.
Geltor designs high-performance, sustainable ingredients for consumer product companies by combining computation, biology and materials science. Our first products are collagen proteins optimized for cosmetics and personal care applications and produced through a proprietary animal-free fermentation process. The company was founded in 2015 and is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area.
At Geltor we believe the most innovative progress and scientific discoveries happen when we include, celebrate, and embrace difference. We are committed to building a team that includes and respects a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Geltor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.