Formulation Chemist Intern
Emeryville, CA /
Commercial – Consumer Insights & Applications /
Geltor designs high-performance, sustainable ingredients for consumer product companies by combining computation, biology and materials science. Our first products are proteins optimized for cosmetics and personal care applications and produced through a proprietary, animal-free fermentation process. The company was founded in 2015 and is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We are looking for a proactive and scientifically curious student to join our Consumer Innovation and Applications team in an internship. This team develops foundational knowledge about the properties of our ingredients that allows customers to harness their full potential in their own products. In their research process, the Consumer Innovation and Applications team combines chemistry, physical-chemistry, formulation science and product performance evaluation. Chemists in this team are the first to ever formulate with our novel ingredients.
The Formulation Chemist Internship is a paid, full-time, 10-week experience within our Consumer Innovation and Applications team. Within this role, you’ll have the opportunity to execute a research project on formulation technology advised by the department lead. The intern will be exposed to multiple areas of our business including claims substantiation, sales, marketing, and bioanalytical science.
- Determination of solubility parameters
- Preparation of solutions, microemulsions, macroemulsions
- Characterization of physical-chemical properties of formulations
- Characterization of microstructure using microscopy
- Development of phase diagrams
- Writing research reports and formulation guidelines
- Maintaining an electronic lab notebook
- Presenting results to a multidisciplinary team
- Demonstrated skills in teamwork, written & verbal communication, organization, and critical thinking
- Practical experience with formulation (e.g., emulsions, lotions, mineral powders, etc.)
- Understanding of laboratory equipment, safety, and protocol (e.g., overhead mixers, pH meter, etc.)
- Completed coursework in Chemistry and Organic Chemistry
- Must be willing to commit 40 hours per week over 10 weeks
Geltor designs high-performance, sustainable ingredients for consumer product companies by combining computation, biology and materials science. Our first products are collagen proteins optimized for cosmetics and personal care applications and produced through a proprietary animal-free fermentation process. The company was founded in 2015 and is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area.
At Geltor we believe the most innovative progress and scientific discoveries happen when we include, celebrate, and embrace difference. We are committed to building a team that includes and respects a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Geltor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.